1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island Red Rooster Attack

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenMack, Oct 7, 2011.

1. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I have a three year old RIR Rooster aka "Rooster" and he presented a problem today that I haven't yet encountered with him and would like some advice. So some back story- we recently got a two year old Buff Orpington who has a history of going broody, which I want because I want a natural versus a hatchery flock- anyways, my six year old daughter went to pick her up, as she is quite tame. Rooster attacked spurs first and nailed her arm with his beak. It isn't so bad, stitches were optional, but if it was not cold outside and my daughter not wearing a long sleeved shirt and fleece jacket, I am afraid the outcome would have bad. So here is the all important question:

Do I butcher Rooster? Part of me says "no" he was just doing his job but the mother in my says it was bad this time but it could be worse if he does it again. I am having a hard time with this one and would love to have another chicken family to chat with as I weigh my options. Plus, if I do get rid of Rooster, I will have to find another one- so does anyone know if it is true that at about two years of age, even the mild mannered ones can get aggressive? And yes, I know, RIR's are an aggressive breed but Rooster really has been a really nice Rooster.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. chickenlovefever

chickenlovefever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    YES- KILL him. I got my first chickens from SS, and they were nice RIRs. But When they grew up, I had 4 out of 6 be roosters. They were all aggressive. I kept 2 of them for 2 years, and tried to change them, giving them treats and separating them, but they just held a grudge. There is no changing a mean rooster. I would get rid of him now.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you keep the rooster, make sure that your daugher is never allowed near him again. You got lucky this time. Next time might not be so lucky. rooster in the pen at all times and daughter never in the pen.

4. ChickenMack

Oct 7, 2011
    Yup. You're right. I guess I just needed to hear it from others who love their chickens. If it happens again,we may not be so lucky. Thanks for your thoughts.

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    If you let your chickens out to range I would vote to keep him and see if he will treat a predator in like manner. It could be a good thing. What he did is what rooster do. Was you daughter a stranger to him? Or should I say does she go to the run with you so that he knows her? For me I would like a rooster that would protect the hens. But to attack just humans, no no, he's destined for the supper table.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  6. ChickenMack

Oct 7, 2011
    No, the Rooster is three and has been around my daughter since we got him. She has picked up hens before with no issues- that is why I am so perplexed by this behavior. He has rushed us before but never spurs first and his beak left a deep puncture wound in her arm. He was coming in for a third attack when the dog realized the scuffle and came over and chased him away. I reallized we were lucky this time, no eye gouging or plastic surgeon needed, and I respect roosters and what they do which is why I am having a hard time deciding if he needs to be butchered. I have taught my kids to be safe around the rooster but he has a history of being so mellow, I think we all just relaxed and didn't worry about him.

I will get another rooster, of another breed- I keep a small flock of hens and one rooster for fertilizing. RIR's have a reputation for being aggressive and now I know why. Thanks for your advice.

7. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    When my uncle was 5, he told me that a there was this leghorn rooster that just hated everyone, but they kept it because it protected the girls. One day my uncle walked in front of the chicken yard and noticed the roo was out, then went after it, him being 5 and not knowing what trouble he was getting himself into!! The rooster left a scar on his cheek that is still there :O kill it.

8. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    keep him! I'm 13 and my roosters are always going after me you have to train them with the spray bottle routine:every time he shows an aggressive move/running towards you spray him and don't be afraid to oak him unless its winter than he might freeze OR there is a thing on here that tells you different things you can do so he stops his nonsense and is a perfect angel i will have to find the link.

9. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I have a beautiful 7 month old HB RIR roo which has had an attitude problem from the get-go. In the past I have offed bad roos without hesitation. This is my only roo and he is so darn handsome. I never let the birds out when people come over. He will jump at them even when he is in the run and the wire is a barrier. RIR roos are notorious aggessors. I had one yrs ago that would ambush me when I would get home from work. You'll have to weigh the pros and cons for your self.

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'd eat him and get another rooster. There are nice roosters in the world (I happen to have one at the moment [​IMG]), you just need to keep looking. "Flock protection" is not worth your daughter's health and well-being. And I'm sure you don't want her to be afraid to go outside and play, or develop a lifelong fear of chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by