Rhode Island Red Rooster Help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kpick101, Aug 9, 2014.

1. kpick101

kpick101 New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    I have a 20 week old Rhode Island Rooster named Cocky. We got him by accident. We were going to get rid of him but we all grew to love him and now we are too attached. He hasn't really shown signs of being very aggressive yet, but I have read online that RIR roosters can be very nasty. So I really don't want him to be mean when he gets older. If he attacks anyone, then we have to get rid of him. How do I show him that I'm no threat to him or his hens? Also I do I keep him nice? I've never had any experiences with roosters before, I've only had hens! And I really don't want to get rid of him, please help!

2. LorenMcHugh

LorenMcHugh Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2013
    I have a RIR rooster for the first time too and he's about 4 months old now and was getting aggressive only towards me...chasing me and pecking at my ankles. I was given great advice on here to literally pin him to the ground and lightly pinch the back of his neck. I held him down for about a minute and when I released pressure and stood up over him, he still laid there. I had to do that twice and now he just kinda talks to himself and walks away when I come near him. It's all about showing him who is the boss. He hasn't gone after me since then so I'd wait to do it until you see him being aggressive. I still keep an eye on him just to make sure he's not up to anything funny but I think he knows that I'm at the top of the pecking order now. Hope that helps.

1 person likes this.
  3. kpick101

kpick101 New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by