1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Rhode Island Red rooster lays egg

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cockahen, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Cockahen

Cockahen New Egg

Aug 17, 2016
    This spring I bought 6 pullets at tractor supply...or what I thought were all pullets. One of the "hens" was looking more and more like a male so we figured tractor supply just made a mistake and put a rooster in with its pullets so we just kept it and let it go where it wanted. Today I went outside and the rooster was squatting in its pen(not the nesting boxes) and it laid a medium size white egg, the second it hit the ground the hens rushed over and ate the egg. It was its only egg I know of. Is it a rooster or hen? Why did it lay an egg?[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] It is 100 % a hen, and it laid an egg because that is what hens do. Absolutely no rooster feathering characteristics, and large combs on laying hens are the norm.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I will always bow to the wisdom of Sourland. And :welcome!

1 person likes this.
  4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You have a female. The red comb meant that eggs were on the way, not cock-a-doodle-doos.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That's the good news, the bad news is egg eating is a hard habit to stop. The others will quickly learn to do the same thing.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    If the shell was broken or soft, it's fair game. However, to be sure it's not related to a protein deficiency, be sure to keep them on grower until they are all laying. And minimize treats.

8. 7littlegirls

7littlegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    Long Island NY
    Hi! :frow welcome to
    BYC! Congrats on the egg

9. patsalters

patsalters New Egg

Feb 9, 2016
    In late April I aired 15 pullets, 10 wyandotte, and 5 Brown Leghorn, and one Leghorn cockrell. My grandkids suggested I name the Cockrell Chanteclair which I did. In the last tree days Chanteclair has laid two eggs. I've now determined he is a cross dresser and her name has been changed to Clair. Big combs and wattles do not make a rooster. LOL.

10. patsalters

patsalters New Egg

Feb 9, 2016
    In late April I aquired 15 pullets, 10 wyandotte and 5 Brown Leghorn. I also purchased one Leghorn cockrell. My wonderful grandkids suggested naming him Chanteclair.
    In the last 3 days I observed Chanteclair laying 2 eggs. He is beautiful, large red comb and wattles, superior in size to the rest. I am of the opinion that roosters do not lay eggs. Chanteclair is a cross dresser and now goes by Clair. LOL.
    A large comb and wattles do NOT A ROOSTER MAKE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by