Rhode Island Red: rooster or hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PhDtoFarm, Aug 14, 2013.

1. PhDtoFarm

PhDtoFarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2013
    Hi all, I'm new to chickens and just got my first flock of 12 (hopefully!) ladies. They're all RIRs. I was watching them yesterday and got a little suspicious of this one because she doesn't act like the others. She's been walking around "supervising" everyone else (although the others peck/chase her whenever she gets too close) and often has fluffed feathers (as in the photo). She's also bigger than the others, but she may be older: they came as a mix of 3-5 month olds. Her tail feathers (and a few others') are missing, which might make it harder to tell :/

Any insight into gender or behavior would be much appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. Irishhenman

Irishhenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    Ireland
    That's not an RIR, it is tufted and rumpless, probably an aracauna mix

3. PhDtoFarm

Aug 13, 2013
    The rumplessness is just from missing tail feathers (as far as I can tell). I can see where they're supposed to be, I think she's just been picked on/stressed. The runs at the feed store were pretty hectic. The picture doesn't show her naked bum very well, but it was the best one I got. :/ I can try for another tonight if it helps.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I don't think she's rumpless, she's lacking tail feathers that seem to be coming in. That would be a pullet :)

5. PhDtoFarm

Aug 13, 2013
    Oh good :D Thank you! What gives her away?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by