Rhode Island Red Rooster with Leg Problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Frankie65, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Frankie65

Frankie65 New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    Our RIR rooster has red legs and is limping. No sign of bumblefoot. The red goes up into his feathers. Not sure if anything is wrong with the legs, but the limping has me worried. He is over a year old. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Just want to see him better.

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    If you haven't examined his foot/leg yet, I would do so. Check to see if there's any object, such as a splinter or something, in the pad of the foot. The chicken may have been bitten or stung by an animal/insect. Are the legs hot to the touch?

3. Frankie65

Frankie65 New Egg

Mar 3, 2014
    I have checked his feet. Legs are not hot to the touch. From some of the post I have read I am thinking the red is normal. Wondering if he may have sprained it. Our older wyanndotte may have spurred him. Just going to have to keep checking on everything. Thanks for the help.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check his foot padfor swelling and a dark spot of bumblefoot. Then put him in a cage inside the coop for a week to rest his leg. Give him food and vitamins in his water. Check his walking in a week to see if he needs more rest. Look closely at the leg joints and upper leg for swelling or redness. The redness of his legs is sometimes normal with fertile chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by