Rhode Island Red rooster with suspected neurological problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stephanielynn, Jul 30, 2011.

1. stephanielynn

stephanielynn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    I took my eldest rooster, a 4 1/2 year-old Rhode Island Red rooster to the vet because whatever is causing him to avoid putting weight on his right foot hasn't improved. This has been going on for a few weeks now and initially I had massaged his foot and leg a few times and it seemed to get better on its own but then it regressed. During the past few weeks, I've also noticed that his crow is a bit "off" meaning it doesn't sound as strong as it used to. Other than that, he is eating and drinking normally and can still walk but with a limp and doesn't walk as far as he usually does without resting. He even tries to still use his bad leg and will scratch the ground with it.

I took him to the vet yesterday and the vet thinks it may be neurological but has more experience with exotic birds than chickens. This vet is the only one in the area that I know of who can see fowl. The vet is trying prednisone and antibiotics (for his skin because it's been irritated by him resting on the ground more) and recommended isolating him for a few days. I have also continued to do physical therapy on him and massage his leg periodically.

At the vet, the staff members were all commenting on how docile he is. That's just him-I've had him since he was a chick (almost five years ago) and he's always been a sweetheart (uncommon for roosters) so I do what I can to help him heal and be comfortable.

I am new to the BackYardChickens forum but have owned chickens for almost five years and they have been healthy for the most part. I'm looking for suggestions. Thank you. : -)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Have you checked the bottom of his feet for a dark in color circular scab? If you see one and there is swelling or redness on or around it, it is bumblefoot and it requires minor surgery to remove the staph infection. It will cause him to limp. Is there any swelling in the affected leg? If so, that could be caused by staph infection that has reached the leg and would require very strong antibiotics to try and stop it from spreading, that would be caused by the bumblefoot as well. There's also a possibility that he couldve jumped down from a high roost and sprained a tendon/ligament or muscle causing him to limp. I agree with your vet giving him prednasone to reduce inflammation and increasing appetite, as well as isolating him. If it is a sprain or tendon/ligament problem, he will need plenty of rest and relaxation for it to heal. Walking and scratching dirt with his right foot could possibly cause more serious injury. Perhaps you could put him in a cage to limit his movement. You can purchase vitamin B complex tablets at a pharmacy and crush a few of them and sprinkle it in his feed. They might help him heal quicker. Do this for 5 days, then stop and see if there's improvement. If not, continue another 5 days then stop completely, check for improvement. Hopefully he will have healed by then. These type injuries take time to heal, usually a week to 10 days, sometimes a month or more, sometimes never. I've dealt with this type of injury in 5 of my chickens before...3 healed within a weeks time, 1 was culled after 2 months when the good leg gave out, and 1 died yesterday. Good luck.

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Check his knee too just under the feathers and look for a scab there too.

4. stephanielynn

Jul 30, 2011
    Dawg53 and chkn:
    Thank you for your quick responses.: -) During the examination, the vet didn't observe signs of physical injury or infection and said the next step would be getting X-rays for which he charges around $130. : -/

For the Vitamin B complex, do you know the dosage calculation per pound of body weight? I will definitely try that and I thank you for the suggestion. I have confined my Wooster more to a kennel with his pellets and a mix of unflavored Pedialyte and water. If he's not in there (alone) then I have him in my lap over a towel while I work on my graduate course work.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:The vitamin B complex tablets are small. Crush about 4 or 5 into powder and just sprinkle it on the pellets...add as necessary. I hope this all turns out to be good news in the end.

6. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Hey, I want ya to post pictures of the bad foot/leg.

7. stephanielynn

Jul 30, 2011
    Sure. How can I attach pictures to my posts? Or is there another way to do it?

8. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    [​IMG] You have to Post a certain amount of times before they will let you put pics up. Sorry. I hope your Rooster does better than my hen did with her limp.

9. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    I have to admit I haven't posted a picture yet except on My Page.

10. stephanielynn

Jul 30, 2011
    PAchickenlover:
    Thank you for letting me know about the forum policy. : -)

I will be starting the Vitamin B complex treatment today. I'm hoping for the best and doing the best of my ability to care for and nurture Wooster but trying to prepare myself emotionally if his condition doesn't improve. I will keep you guys posted and thank you again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by