Rhode Island Red Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eggburritos, Aug 23, 2010.

1. eggburritos

eggburritos Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Fort Collins, Co
    Hi everyone. I've been stalking these forums the past year and have finally registered! For my first post I have a question on the gender of the following chicken.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I apologize for the bad pictures. I will try and post a few better ones soon! Right now, I'm thinking roo. My chickens are about 19 weeks old right now. I had 6 originally but lost 1 at about 12 weeks for unknown reasons. This is the only RIR I have and it towers over the rest of them. I would appreciate your input. Thank you![​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Rooster!!!!

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    [​IMG]

Rooster - for sure. I can see those telltale green iridescent tail feathers.

4. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    FOR SURE A ROO NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!! Looks just like my roo they are about the same age!!

5. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    [​IMG] Boy!

6. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    Cock-a-doodle-roo!

7. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I agree. But my question to you is what breed are the two hens with the roo? I have some just like them and have looked at all the pictures and am still not sure. THEY have iridecent feathers also but they are in with the black feathers......

8. eggburritos

eggburritos Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Fort Collins, Co
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. Angie, or I guess Angelo now [​IMG], will be going on craigslist today becasue I can't have any roosters in city limits. To answer the question, the two black hens are Black Australops. They are all black with a slight iridescence in their feathers.

9. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Thanks!! That is what I thought and when I saw yours I thought I would ask. We have RIR's and just about 7 roo's out of 29 chickens. We also have Barred Rock and one Barred Rock Cochin for some reason! Now, for the mistery brown ones...hmmm....

10. I am a newbie but the hens look like Black Stars (a sex link chicken) cross between Barred Rock and RIR look them up at McMurrays-they are egg laying machines. Brown medium to large eggs. Hope this helps. I have two of them also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by