Rhode Island Red sex check, please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AlisonDS, Sep 10, 2012.

1. AlisonDS

AlisonDS Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Hi, I'm new to chickens all together. I adopted 3 Rhode Island Red "chickens" from my local shelter. This was about 2 months ago. They are pretty big. This morning I heard a suspicious crow like sound ... and what I thought was just a bump on Edina's leg now has a matching bump on the other leg. They all have beautiful green iridescent feathers on their butts and are very shiny in general. So it occurred to me ... maybe there's a reason I've never seen an egg. I have 5 others, but they're very young, that I got from a local breeder. These pictures are not ideal, eek, but I wondered if anyone could offer me some guidance. I can't legally keep roosters so this will be very sad if I have to rehome them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I see all roosters. Sorry.

3. AlisonDS

AlisonDS Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    I was afraid of that :( Edina's the only one I've seen the bumps on the legs super pronounced but all the other characteristics are the same - super shiny feathers, green tail feathers, etc. I'm so sad :( I've grown so attached to them.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Spur buds aren't a great indicator of gender. Those long shiney feathers, large combs and wattles, thick legs, darker shading on the wings, those are all rooster signs.

5. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012

6. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

i know this dosen't help with your question, but do just normal animal shelters that have cats and dogs, do they have chickens aswell? im definantly going animal sheltering tomorrow

7. Nathan Sampson

Nathan Sampson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Whitewater Mo
    I am so sorry for you but those are all roosters you have there.

8. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Yes, all 3 are boys, that was a bit naughty of the shelter or perhaps they genuinely didn't know? I hope you made it clear you couldn't take roosters and that they would need to be returned if they are! the person that originally took them there obviously knew but perhaps didn't tell them, I am sorry you are now attached to them, have a word and see if they will help [​IMG]

9. crazy4chickens5

crazy4chickens5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2012
    NH
    Yes. I agree with everyone. There wattles and combs are for to large for hens. Sorry!

10. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Plus the saddle feathers and the different shade of red on the wings [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by