Rhode Island Red sex check, please

AlisonDS

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 10, 2012
Hi, I'm new to chickens all together. I adopted 3 Rhode Island Red "chickens" from my local shelter. This was about 2 months ago. They are pretty big. This morning I heard a suspicious crow like sound ... and what I thought was just a bump on Edina's leg now has a matching bump on the other leg. They all have beautiful green iridescent feathers on their butts and are very shiny in general. So it occurred to me ... maybe there's a reason I've never seen an egg. I have 5 others, but they're very young, that I got from a local breeder. These pictures are not ideal, eek, but I wondered if anyone could offer me some guidance. I can't legally keep roosters so this will be very sad if I have to rehome them.

I was afraid of that :( Edina's the only one I've seen the bumps on the legs super pronounced but all the other characteristics are the same - super shiny feathers, green tail feathers, etc. I'm so sad :( I've grown so attached to them.

Spur buds aren't a great indicator of gender. Those long shiney feathers, large combs and wattles, thick legs, darker shading on the wings, those are all rooster signs.

Yes, all 3 are boys, that was a bit naughty of the shelter or perhaps they genuinely didn't know? I hope you made it clear you couldn't take roosters and that they would need to be returned if they are! the person that originally took them there obviously knew but perhaps didn't tell them, I am sorry you are now attached to them, have a word and see if they will help
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom