Rhode Island Red stopped laying after 8 weeks of laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2chickens, Sep 17, 2016.

1. 2chickens

2chickens New Egg

Feb 13, 2016
    My Rhode Island Red is 6 months old. She laid beautiful eggs for 8 weeks, one daily. About 8 days ago she stopped laying. I have not changed food, setting, or anything. Every day they get to free range in my active compost pile and get worms and veggies. My Red Sex Link is laying an egg every day and is just fine. I have added once a day a high protein treat. I have been adding crumble shells to their laying crumble all along. I need your help please.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Two answers, 1. she taking a small break which many hens do. 2. She's laying somewhere else, so check for hidden nests. Both are possible options.

I would have a good look around, otherwise she will resume again. Some of mine stop for 1-4 weeks at times, especially my poorer layers. Any changes will cause a halt sometimes, things like weather changes, food changes, noise disturbances. A hen need to feel safe to lay.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Confused by this.....what are 'crumble shells'?
    Do you mean oyster shells for added calcium?
    What exactly is the 'high protein treat'?

My bet is she is laying out in range area.
    Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days (or longer) can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by