Rhode Island Red swollen, should she be drained?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stickboy, Nov 24, 2012.

1. stickboy

stickboy New Egg

Nov 24, 2012
    I've got a four year old Rhode Island Red that has been swelling up bad last few days.
    I'm not sure if she's impacted, or a fluid build-up.
    She is moving very slowly, but eating, not sure if pooping or not.
    I read a hread by "Ruth", who had similar problem, and treated with anti-botics and took needle and syringe and drained chicken and chicken lived.
    What size needle should I use, and where should I drain from.
    I have given a little olive oil, and also some ACV last night,
    Any advice would be appreciated, I want to try something to save her if possible. Thanks!

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Hi, if her bottom looks and feels like a water balloon she probably has ascitis. Take a short large 16 or 18 gauge needle and syringe. Lay hen on her side. Insert needle at a shallow angle rather then straight in, into the lowest fullest end of the balloon shape. Stand up the hen and pull back on the plunger until fluid fills the syringe. If it is flowing good pull the plunger out of the syringe and let the fluid free flow. Their can be a lot. She may drip after the needle is removed. May have to be repeated a few times. Put her on a good antibiotic. Hopefully this will help and won't return....

3. stickboy

stickboy New Egg

Nov 24, 2012
    Need more info ASAP!!! Thanks for your response, I drained her about forty ml's yesterday, but the 2nd time I went to inject needle, I stuck myself, and I had not sterilized or changed needle.
    Can I catch this, if she does have ascites? What would be the symptoms?
    I also found near anus,a sore with hundreds of tiny white worms. I bathed her and put peroxide on them, but it didn't kill them all, needless to say I got them on me as well. How do I get rid of them. Thanks so much!

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Ascitis is fluid build up from an infection. I doubt it is transferable to you but infection can, so wash the puncture well and use antibiotic ointment. I've stuck myself many times.....no dieases to date, lol.
    White worms could be maggots.....only way to really kill them is with a insect spray like for horses or dogs.... White to clear bug looking are lice which need a Sevin or poultry dust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by