Rhode Island Red thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by animalpro24, Oct 10, 2011.

1. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    I"m getting a few RIR soon and would love to see yours and know more about them!
    Thanks!

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
  3. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Thanks!

4. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    [​IMG]
    the rir in the back ground is my cuddles she was born with no claws [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and this is crazy she has diebeties and all kinds of fun to watch!!
    this are 2 of 8 that i have in my flock and my fav by far even if they are special need. they are very strong in personality
    and are on top of the pecking order. ill be counting my hens at night and every single rir i have will remind me that they are in the coop by grabbing my finger that is counting.
    i love them they have no fear and just full of it [​IMG] have fun with your new members [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  5. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Here are some pics of mine.... I love em! I think some people say his tail should be horizontal but I think he is still awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:A: How do you know a chicken is diabetic?

B: How do you control the blood sugars?

I have enough problems with my own, let alone trying to regulate a chicken! [​IMG]

7. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    Quote:A: How do you know a chicken is diabetic?

B: How do you control the blood sugars?

I have enough problems with my own, let alone trying to regulate a chicken! [​IMG]

i took her in to test her (my sister is a vet tec, its nice to have someone on the inside)
    its very hard to regulate her sugars sometimes i mess up and she goes into a flappy creeching fit. it so funny but at the same time its not. she will run around stop sit runn around stop sit flapping creeching all kinds. i really need to record it one of these days and post it.. when she does that its very easy to pick her up for she is not paying any mind to us (like she could) and we give her honey and molasis in a surange.. after a few minutes she calms down and we go on with our day.. i try to keep food close to her at all times but on some days i go to town and dont let them out thats when she gets the worse so i usally get her out and let her free range with out the others.
    i did a lot a research before i even took her in i thought it was a nero thing but then i saw her fits happen more when she doest eat all day until i get back from town. so i had my sister take her in..]
    and blood test comfermed it.. shes so funny. OMG i wished everyone had one. lol
    but is sad also.. just cant help to laugh at her.. "crazy whats going on?" and she screams.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  8. rjking777

rjking777 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have 4 RIR hens and just love them. They do have their own personalities and are so fun to watch! My girls are Lucy, Hermione, Gracie and Betsy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by