Rhode Island Red vs. New Hampshire Red

I just bought a bunch of New Hampshire Reds and i have been told and read the same, that they have been selectively bred to just be a bigger faster growing version of a RIR. the color is a tad lighter, and they are supposed to be 100% RIR, just bred by breeders in New Hampshire, I guess those boys just got jealous of Road Island. the birds seem to grow faster and i can tell they should be bigger, they keep easy, and are pretty good birds so far no problems. The guy i bought mine from intended to use them as meat birds and was feeding them 22% so i have continued that and think it may work out, we will see.

AL

I went to a lady's house to buy a chicken, and she had some that were as tall as my 2 yr old. Looked her right in the eye!
gig.gif

I really don't know if there is a difference. They are supposed to be more of a dual purpose bird, less eggs than rir, but more meat. Mine are nice. I only have 2 and they are very sweet.

THere is a Production Red that is produced by crossing a Rhode Island Red and a Delaware, is that what you talking about? If so, I have a BUNCH of them. They are basically a RIR that will get bigger, and lay eggs longer than a RIR. They are supposed to lay regularly for like 4 years instead of two. They are also called Cherry Eggers.

No, a Cherry Egger is not a New Hampshire Red. I've read conflicting info on the NHs, better for eggs, nope they're better for meat, they lay well, not so well, just depends on where you read it. They are very orangey red with black in the tail and the hackle area. My hatchery NHs are very rangy and lean, probably not the breed description. Maybe they'll fill out later on.

Here is my understanding:
Originally, New Hampshires were bred as dual purpose birds. At some point in the 40s and 50s they were primarily used as broilers so their egg laying ability stopped being a real consideration in their genetics. After the Cornish / Rock Cross became the dominant meat bird the New Hampshire fell out of favor and was bred, for the most part, as a heritage breed. Since then there have been a lot of strains developed that have focused more on their egg producing abilities.
We've raised them for 5 years now and they lay as well as our sex linked birds, so I'd have to say at least as well as the RIR, but the New Hampshire eggs are far larger.

Last edited:
My NH lays every day. Not real big eggs, she is still a pullet. Not very friendly and at times doesn't let younger birds in the coop. I only kept her because her eggs are kinda pink.

What I have read agrees what cardigan said, but I dont remember the source.
What I m hoping to find is any kind of red rooster who is of a good temperment. ROR have a Reputation for being agressive
Anyone have a pleasant Red rooster? (not go sell toe, just want to hear peoples expsrience with yhe different red breeds)

Back
Top Bottom