Rhode island red vs. Plymouth rock

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by questions543, Jun 4, 2012.

1. questions543

questions543 Songster

Mar 21, 2012
    Which one is better in your oppinion for personality and egglaying?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You will find advocates for both breeds. In many instances personalty and egglaying varies as much within a breed as it does between breeds. It all depends upon the source and genetic background of the birds that you select.

3. kreagerm

kreagerm Chirping

Feb 11, 2012
    I have one of each and both are great birds and their egg production is about the same. Don't think you can go wrong with either breed.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Are we talking hatchery stock or breeder quality stock? Hatchery stock varies wildly. You can have bad and good in both breeds, of course.

This has been my personal experience with both breeds:

I've had both RIRs and BRs, in hatchery stock, as well as show quality stock. The BRs lay every bit as well as the RIRs in both types. I have 5 year old BR hens, progeny of hatchery hens, laying regularly about half of the year, and I mean 4 egg per week each.

My show type RIRs were much larger, but much more docile "mind your own business" types, than my hatchery RIR hens, though both were excellent layers.

My BRs of both types were friendly birds. Barred Rocks are my all-time favorites. I no longer have RIRs--the hatchery hens died from internal laying and ovarian cancer and I sold my breeder quality hens in a downsize. I'll always have BRs.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Can't say that I've ever noticed a terrible lot of difference between the two in terms of their production, egg size, or shell color.

I'd have both myself, but if I had to be limited to just one breed I'd go with Barred Rocks, but that's because I think they are prettier.

Amongst the major historical dual-purpose breeds that once had a major role to play in American agriculture - Rhode Island Reds, White and Barred Rocks, New Hampshires, and Delawares - I cannot say I find much difference in egg production, size, or quality from any of the sources I've had them from. None are really selected for any longer for the qualities that made them famous to begin with. So go with whatever you like the looks of most.

6. Hellinahelmet

Hellinahelmet In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Georgia
    I've got both. My white rocks seem to be more social toward me but they're both great to have around

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: