Rhode Island Red with very red backside

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chitownhens, Jan 28, 2016.

1. chitownhens

chitownhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2016
    I was wondering if anyone might know what this condition may be. It's been like this for almost 6 months and it does not appear to be mites. The rest of my flock are doing fine and upon visual inspection I did not see mites.

She is very happy but I am a little concerned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Wow that's really weird... is it hot or swollen at all?

3. chitownhens

Jan 23, 2016
    No it's not hot nor does it look swollen. Initially I thought it was just a part of molting but it's been like that since the summer.

Other than that she seems fine.

I read someone posting about vent gleet..............not sure if that applies to the back of the chicken too.

4. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Do you have a rooster? How many hens do you have?

5. chitownhens

Jan 23, 2016
    No roosters...........I live in the city of Chicago and I have 21 hens

6. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Ok then. I can't really think of anything now. Maybe the other hens are eating the feathers. Give them some oyster shells maybe. It will help her with feathers too.

7. chitownhens

Jan 23, 2016
    Yes they have access to a feeder that is filled with oyster shells. I do have one feather picker but she picks from the hens in her group and is not too bad. The Rhode Island Red is not part of the group with the feather picker. The 3 different age groups all tend to stay with the group they were with when they were baby chicks.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  8. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Well then this is an odd case. I can't think of any other reasons. Only thing that could do feather damage is mites. Lice, fleas, and ticks remain on the body. Check you birds at night. Some mites will only come out at night and onto birds during the night.

9. chitownhens

Jan 23, 2016
    Okay I will check her at night. But is it possible for only one bird to be affected by mites, etc if that were the case?

10. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Usually that's not the case. But of course mites don't read books nor rules. I would doubt it. Not much else that I can think of through experience or research.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by