Rhode Island Red won’t stop laying Double yolk eggs(25 weeks old )

Halfwolf27

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2020
I have a Rhode Island Red chicken she has just started laying eggs for about two weeks now and almost every egg is a double yolk and it makes her not act normal she just lays down like something is wrong I know it can’t be good for her to be laying these massive eggs at such a young age but how do I help her stop ? Or help her get better thank you

Attachments

• 958A7593-EE87-48F0-B866-08E6BAA9E8C5.jpeg
    958A7593-EE87-48F0-B866-08E6BAA9E8C5.jpeg
    309.5 KB · Views: 51
  • B9357A95-BA36-4BA4-AF89-0A967B510736.jpeg
    B9357A95-BA36-4BA4-AF89-0A967B510736.jpeg
    358.6 KB · Views: 8
There's really no way to stop it.
How old is she, in weeks?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Do you have other RIR's laying?

it makes her not act normal she just lays down like something is wrong
Lays down all the time or.....?...need more details here.

I think it is normal that some hens lay doupble yolkers when they first start out. Just like shell less eggs or other issues. I do believe in a couple of weeks she will be just fine. She just needs to get into the flow of laying.

There's really no way to stop it.
How old is she, in weeks?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Do you have other RIR's laying?

Lays down all the time or.....?...need more details here.
I don’t have any other Rhode Island reds the other ones are Bovans and three of them just started laying as well normal eggs she will act fine after she lays she lays normally around 11:30. She will act fine but when it starts to get late at night sometimes she will just lay down in one spot and not move much and then the next morning she is normal again I thought she was sick or going to die with not wanting to move but then the next morning she was fine and that’s the only thing I see her do is just lay down when it starts to get cooler and later at night the one time I had to pick her up and put her in the coop and then the next morning she is just being her bossy self to the other ones 😩 I just don’t want her in pain

I don’t have any other Rhode Island reds the other ones are Bovans and three of them just started laying as well normal eggs she will act fine after she lays she lays normally around 11:30. She will act fine but when it starts to get late at night sometimes she will just lay down in one spot and not move much and then the next morning she is normal again I thought she was sick or going to die with not wanting to move but then the next morning she was fine and that’s the only thing I see her do is just lay down when it starts to get cooler and later at night the one time I had to pick her up and put her in the coop and then the next morning she is just being her bossy self to the other ones 😩 I just don’t want her in pain
Also she is 25 weeks old

I think it is normal that some hens lay doupble yolkers when they first start out. Just like shell less eggs or other issues. I do believe in a couple of weeks she will be just fine. She just needs to get into the flow of laying.
Thank you I get worried that she is in pain ! But then she will be completely fine the next day and then she will either lay a regular egg that is small or the next day it’s very big

It’s fine ... that’s what her body is producing, so it’s way better that she passes those eggs than not. I really wouldn’t worry; large eggs are a good thing. It only becomes a problem if the hen becomes egg bound because if it but if that’s not happening then consider her to have a healthy reproductive system that lays giant eggs. I don’t see a problem here... especially if the egg shells are hard and the eggs are good. If you’re concerned about her calcium, just provide some free choice oyster shells.

It’s fine ... that’s what her body is producing, so it’s way better that she passes those eggs than not. I really wouldn’t worry; large eggs are a good thing. It only becomes a problem if the hen becomes egg bound because if it but if that’s not happening then consider her to have a healthy reproductive system that lays giant eggs. I don’t see a problem here... especially if the egg shells are hard and the eggs are good. If you’re concerned about her calcium, just provide some free choice oyster shells.
Thank you the eggs have been good ! Thankfully and the shells have been very strong as well! Just wasn’t sure if it was bad with her age ! And then it taking a lot out of her thank you !

Thank you the eggs have been good ! Thankfully and the shells have been very strong as well! Just wasn’t sure if it was bad with her age ! And then it taking a lot out of her thank you !
You’re welcome! Enjoy your huge eggs!! It’s not uncommon for certain breeds of birds to lay huge double yolkers in their first year of laying. I had a sex link laying huge double yolkers for awhile, then the eggs became more normal as her reproductive system evened out.

Back
Top Bottom