Rhode Island Red???

ClareScifi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
I hatched eggs from unknown chickens. It is known that the father of the chicks was most likely a White Leghorn. But the mother could have been one of several breeds.

Do you think these two chicks, now 9 weeks old, could have had a Rhode Island Red for a mother? The rooster has dark splotches on his wings that are a dark red/chocolatey shade, and some similar coloring on his head is coming out. The hen at his side also has some dark splotches on her wings, not as dark as his, but a similar shade. Both have bright yellow beaks and feet. Is the bright yellow coloration a characteristic of RIRs? What would be other possibilities? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
And this is their sister, below. She has butter-colored speckles all over her head, the color of a Buff Orpington's feathers. Do you think a Buff Orpington could have been her mother? Her feet are white-ish and her beak is not nearly as yellow as that of the other two whose pictures are posted above:

Last edited:
And this photo is of their brother. Notice the grayish-black coloration on him. Do you think his mother could likely be a Barred Rock?

Last edited:
Quote:
No. If his mother was a barred rock he would be barred
smile.png
Barred rock hen to any other colour rooster will have solid coloured girls and barred boys (with possible leakage).

Hope this helps. I doubt these have any RIR in them.

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by Barred? Here is a picture of his back. He is in the foreground:

84553_charlie.jpg

I think the things on the Roo's back in the picture posted above, do look like "bars?"

Quote:
No. If his mother was a barred rock he would be barred
smile.png
Barred rock hen to any other colour rooster will have solid coloured girls and barred boys (with possible leakage).

Hope this helps. I doubt these have any RIR in them.

He wouldn't be barred because of the white leghorns dominate white gene, that's why they all look mostly white. You cannot use white leghorns to make sexlinks.

Back
Top Bottom