1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island Red??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mdguffey, Jan 31, 2012.

1. mdguffey

mdguffey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    La Salle, Colorado
    i was told this bird is a RI red. i have 4 others and this one is quite different. my other 4 hens have a large comb and large wattles. this one doesn't have much of either. color wise she looks like a RI red. this hen is about 6 to 8 weeks younger than my others. she is the one on the left. its not real important, but just curious. thanks.[​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    The one on the left is a Production Red. Not dark enough to be a pure Rhode Island. The one on the right is a Red Sexlink (Red Star, Golden Comet, etc.)

3. mdguffey

Sep 8, 2011
    La Salle, Colorado
    thanks i was told the one on the right was a new hampshire red??

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    It's possible. I have seen some New Hampshires with white leakage, but they shouldn't have a lot. Either way both breeds are excellent layers.

5. mdguffey

Sep 8, 2011
    La Salle, Colorado
    i have 2 of them, 1 has a little white and the other has a little black, your right they do lay some eggs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by