Rhode Island Red

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RED girl, Feb 17, 2013.

1. RED girl

RED girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    My Red attacks my other two chickens when they are in the yard together. Will this stop the more time they spend together? Both of the girls lay down when she comes around and then she will jump on their backs and peck at their heads until I shoo her off. Any suggestions to resolve this dominance? The two she attacks are not RIR's

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

How long have they been flocked together? Have they recently been introduced?

3. l-o-v-e

l-o-v-e Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Missouri
    unless they are seriously injured don't worry about it don't bother her when she does it. It is called a pecking order it is a natural habit to establish dominance of the "head" chicken. the main thing is make sure you aren't bitten and if you are hit her on the side. so all and all don't worry PM me with any other questions

4. RED girl

RED girl Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2013
    They have been together since December 22nd. We had the Wyandotte and Dominique since they were about two months old. They are about 7 months old now. Red was grown when my husband got her for me for Christmas. I have them in separate coops however beside each other. Thought that time near each other would make them more comfortable together. However, just today when I let all three out to roam the yard every now and then Red would jump on the other two. I shoo her off but someone else replied that I should let them be due to the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by