rhode island reds arent laying eggs why they are 8 months old

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by [email protected], Aug 2, 2011.

1. ranchruler@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    alliance,oh
    tell me y arent htey laying they dont free range

2. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Have not a clue. 8 months and no eggs makes it seem like something is not quite right.

a little more info as to what you are feeding them, what size coop and, run and are they healthy to begin with will help.

3. farmerOwl

farmerOwl Out Of The Brooder

they dont crow in the morning do they?...that would explain it.

4. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Quote:First thing I though of, but figured,nah, that should be known by now.

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Quote:First thing I though of, but figured,nah, that should be known by now.

First thing I was thinking! Are you checking for eggs frequently in case they are eating them? Are they on layer? Any sgns of rodents,snakes or other visitors? What about hungry neighbors?

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I have no clue? My RIR is 21 weeks and still no eggs. I hope you find the reason soon!

7. kpsullivan

kpsullivan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    My Barred Rocks and Austrolorps are 20 weeks old and no eggs yet. I think it's because of the heat. We have had temps in the 100's for over a month now.

8. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I agree with others that it could be due to the heat. Extreme temps, either heat or cold, can delay the onset of laying. Hang in there--they'll lay eventually!

9. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    Mine starting laying at 5 months. End of June, but it was a lot cooler then. As it stays hotter (should be 108 today in AR) I only get eggs every other day. Some days small, some day huge. I do ice water everyday, and mealworms, lettuce or cabbage as well as thier normal feed. There are four fans in the coop . It does seem like a lot but I am retired so I enjoy it. From what I have learned, it could be many factors. I would pick them up and feel to see if anything could be lumpy, bumpy, infested, malnourished, and it may just be timing...... Good luck and wish you many eggs!

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    8 months is pretty old not to be getting any at all. Have you ever found an egg? How many chickens? Heat will certainly slow them down, but if you've never seen an egg, I'd vote for an egg eating predator. Low productions here is more due to rat snakes than heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by