Rhode Island Reds...Cockerel and Pullet???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Shadowhills Farm, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    We got this pair for free off a classified website a while back in August. When we got them, they were estimated to be between 10-12 weeks of age. The owners didn't know what sexes they were, which was fine with us, as they are friendly and cute.

I am thinking Cockerel and Pullet.... They always hang out and do everything together.

****Sorry if the quality of the pics are poor, camera isn't the greatest [​IMG]****

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any info is greatly appreciated!!

2. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    need to see their tails to tell. It's really hard to tell by their faces... I would almost guess both pullets...

3. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    Looks like two pullets to me

4. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps

Look t the saddle feathers between the back and tail. If there pointy their boys if the ends are kinda blunt then they are girls.

5. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    oh wait.. you got them in August... and this is them now? They are definitely pullets! Should be laying eggs any day.

6. Shadowhills Farm

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    oh wait.. you got them in August... and this is them now? They are definitely pullets! Should be laying eggs any day.

Yep we got them mid-August.... they are laying in the boxes, but no eggs popping put yet haha​

7. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    They will!! Chickens need at least 12 hours of daylight in order to produce eggs.
    Winter months are tough oni them unless you add extra light in the coop. That could be why they haven't started laying yet,

8. Shadowhills Farm

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    They will!! Chickens need at least 12 hours of daylight in order to produce eggs.
    Winter months are tough oni them unless you add extra light in the coop. That could be why they haven't started laying yet,

LOL we did have a lamp with the red bulb in it out there for them. Ended up with 5 ducklings so they have it now. We put another lamp out there with a regular bulb....they didn't go to bed! [​IMG]

I guess we will let Mother Nature take her course with these girls!​

9. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    both pullets [​IMG]

10. Shadowhills Farm

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Thanks for the help!! Geeze we were calling one "Roo!", guess we gotta change her name!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by