Rhode island reds crown

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Nmarine1057, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Nmarine1057

Nmarine1057 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    When will my rhode island reds crown stand up, or will it?

[​IMG]

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    First, it doesn't look like a Rhode Island red, however it is beautiful! [​IMG] Also, it's hard to tell if it's a single comb, but if it is then it will probably stay flopped over. Pretty rooster! [​IMG]

3. Nmarine1057

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    He's young and I got him from a breeder, so I hope he's a red I was planing on breeding him with my rir chicks. And yes it's a single comb

4. Nmarine1057

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    Here's another pic

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  5. alabamachick

alabamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

Rhode Island Red Rooster ^^. I dont think yours is FULL RIR.

And I wouldnt expect his Comb to ever stand up...

6. Nmarine1057

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    Great I've been screwed again [​IMG]

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Sorry but that isn't a Rhode Island Red.

Here are some of my Reds to compare to;
    SC Rooster -
    [​IMG]

RC Rooster -
    [​IMG]

RC Hen -
    [​IMG]

Chris

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Great example of how the term "breeder" is distorted. You got him from someone who put male & female chickens together & hatched at least one egg. I a broad sense I suppose that meets the definition of breeder but not in a meaningful way.
    I this case you'd have been much better off with a bird from a hatchery. Even if it was a production bred Red it would still be a Red at least. This appears to be a cross bred bird. Sorry to say but you have to take some of the blame. You didn't do your homework before you went shopping for a bird. If you had you'd have known that wasn't a Rhode Island Red.
    Think of it this way: when you go to school you have to pay tuition. You learned a valuable lesson or 2 here.

BTW-the red thing on top of his head is a comb not a crown. There's a whole language to learn as with any other endeavor.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  9. Nmarine1057

May 31, 2011
    Byhalia Ms
    Quote:Great example of how the term "breeder" is distorted. You got him from someone who put male & female chickens together & hatched at least one egg. I a broad sense I suppose that meets the definition of breeder but not in a meaningful way.
    I this case you'd have been much better off with a bird from a hatchery. Even if it was a production bred Red it would still be a Red at least. This appears to be a cross bred bird. Sorry to say but you have to take some of the blame. You didn't do your homework before you went shopping for a bird. If you had you'd have known that wasn't a Rhode Island Red.
    Think of it this way: when you go to school you have to pay tuition. You learned a valuable lesson or 2 here.

BTW-the red thing on top of his head is a comb not a crown. There's a whole language to learn as with any other endeavor.

He looked nothing like that when I got him months ago he was all red, the guy was on craigslist and lived in the city so yeah I should have known better. Yes I'm a newbie I'm going to get terminology wrong, but at least I have a bird for the stove now, and I went out to Lamars chickens today and saw some real reds, the guy had none for sale but at least i know where to get a full bred reds now. Thanks to all of you with pics! I thought he looked kind of off to be a red. The guy I got him from had wellies also so I'm guessing he was a mix of both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by