Rhode Island Reds have been drivng neighbor crazy !!!

MrsMax

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 16, 2013
Hello, Newbie here:

I had purchased my new flock of 6 at Tractor Supply Co. , about last year. Mind you , I'm completely new to chickens. All I wanted was a flock strictly for egg laying and to be family pets ! So once the chicks grew we were able to identify the chickens specifically by breed ;2 New Hampshire ,2 Rhode island reds ,1 Americauna and 1 Bantam Cochin ! so not to drag the story longer ; early in the am. (5-6) I notice that it 's always the Rhode Islands making all the noise meanwhile the rest are mum during really early hours of the morning. Now I live in a country town and could hear roosters crowing (which I don't mind) but my neighbor was cussing out over my fence because my chickens were cackling that early ! Im honestly considering giving the noisy rhode islands to my mother because she has neighbors that own livestock as well,so they are more acclimated to the noise. At the same time I wish I could keep them! Is this a breed of chicken that tends to be nosier??Are there other breeds that are not as noisy ??Don't get me wrong ,i love to hear them every morning , but neighbor really isn't a fan ...Thank you all in advanced!

Hello, Newbie here:

I had purchased my new flock of 6 at Tractor Supply Co. , about last year. Mind you , I'm completely new to chickens. All I wanted was a flock strictly for egg laying and to be family pets ! So once the chicks grew we were able to identify the chickens specifically by breed ;2 New Hampshire ,2 Rhode island reds ,1 Americauna and 1 Bantam Cochin ! so not to drag the story longer ; early in the am. (5-6) I notice that it 's always the Rhode Islands making all the noise meanwhile the rest are mum during really early hours of the morning. Now I live in a country town and could hear roosters crowing (which I don't mind) but my neighbor was cussing out over my fence because my chickens were cackling that early ! Im honestly considering giving the noisy rhode islands to my mother because she has neighbors that own livestock as well,so they are more acclimated to the noise. At the same time I wish I could keep them! Is this a breed of chicken that tends to be nosier??Are there other breeds that are not as noisy ??Don't get me wrong ,i love to hear them every morning , but neighbor really isn't a fan ...Thank you all in advanced!
if you have roosters they are going to crow. my advice since your in the country (if there's no laws against it) get about 4 more roosters for your neighbor. unless they are your landlord, they have no business talking about your side of the fence.
lau.gif

ok for more serious advice: you can get rid of all your roosters, sometimes a hen will still crow. im not sure where you are from but there are a couple vets here in the U.S. that "decrow" roosters. here is a link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/705084/decrowing-roosters

another option - if you have coop windows you can paint them black. the more you can lower the early morning light, the later he will crow.

LOL!!! I only have females and the cackling they make bothers her ,but if she wants to hear noise she will get it! this time the roosters she will be hearing will be next door rather than just afar!! your post made my day ! lol
clap.gif

Last edited:
as chicken owners its something we deal with. its best to keep the peace if you can, but some neighbors just wont let you. when i have issues like this locally, i try to work it out peacefully by giving eggs and meat to the neighbor. if they keep complaining i build a new coop closer to the property lines.

im lucky myself, my neighbors are fine with my chickens. the above advice is what i do for local friends who have had issues.

You are absolutely right!, I will just kill her with kindness !I'll probably give her some eggs and vegetables from my garden ! maybe then she wont hate them as much !
thumbsup.gif

Some birds are just noisy, it's not a breed thing so much as an individual bird thing. Lots of urban folks that try to have chickens on the down-low are quite distressed at how loud hens can be!

So, it's just your choice. If you're legal, you're well within your rights to keep them. Just depends on how onery you feel!

Quote: Move the RIRs! No need to annoy the neighbor. Good will with them goes a long way! Get rid of any roosters too. You don't need them for eggs.
You can always visit them at your Mom's. Then gift your upset neighbors with fresh eggs!
Best,
Karen in western PA, USA
==========================

Hi there!

Just a thought - is the coop completely blacked out? Chickens will start making noise when it gets light, but if their coop is completely blacked out then they are none the wiser and stay snuggled up asleep :)

The coop has partial light coming in ! So yeah maybe I need to make further adjustments to the coop! Like I mentioned , i'm new at this so please bear with me lol!
big_smile.png
...and yeah my husband and I have really though about just giving them to my mother, I would be left with 4 other chickens , im sure she's really appreciate the fresh eggs despite the noise...lol..on a side note; I don't completely want to get rid of my chickens ,I've really begun to enjoy them !

Back
Top Bottom