Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshire Reds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WizChick, Oct 2, 2009.

1. WizChick

WizChick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    Oregon City, OR
    I was hoping for Rhode Island Reds however I am beginning to doubt that they are. They just don't seem dark enough. I love them whatever they are I'm just curious.

Red
    [​IMG]
    Charlie
    [​IMG]

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

They're pretty!!

But you're right they're not as dark as my RIR roo.

Isn't there something called Production Red too? How do they compare, color-wise?

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I think it might be something like Production Red or Sex-link? But not sure. Have they gone through their moult yet?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  4. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    They are New Hampshire hens. The difference between the two is mostly color. The Production Reds are darker than NHs. They use NH reds x RIRs to make most crosses for PRs they say there are others but this is the most popular cross. It gives them a hybrid vigor like the sex-links. Pretty girls one of my fav. breeds.

5. WizChick

WizChick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2009
    Oregon City, OR
    Production has crossed my mind also. I don't know a lot about Productions so I don't know how they compare in color. I don't think they are Sex Links. There are hints of black in their tails if that maters. Charlie has more then red.
    They are about 23 weeks old and laying beautiful eggs. I haven't experienced a molt yet. These are my first Chickens. I love them!

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Id say it was a Sex-link or a light colored Production red.
    Even with a hatchery New Hamshire and Rhode Island Reds you should have more black in the tail..
    New Hampshires are bread from Rhode Island Reds...
    Production Red have Rhode Island Red and Leghorn in them...

Chris

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  7. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I would say if they are sex link they are not from any of the more popular crosses. they're to light in color and if you cross them with a white leghorn they should be all white with a few red specks here and there. Sure not a cross with brown leghorns this cross has a lot more smutting in the feathers and a very much more compact body. Still say NH red pullets have had a bunch of them. Great layers, spunky.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    catdaddyfro: if you cross them with a white leghorn they should be all white with a few red specks here and there. Sure not a cross with brown leghorns this cross has a lot more smutting in the feathers and a very much more compact body

I said "Production Red have Rhode Island Red and Leghorn in them"
    As in some where in the breeding of the production red there was Leghorn blood added..
    Just like the Rhode Island Red was originated from crossing the Red Malay, LEGHORN and Asiatic native stock..
    There is some information on production reds here...
    http://bloslspoutlryfarm.tripod.com/id29.html

Chris​

9. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    THey're NOT RIR--even my RIR hens have some greenish-black tail feathers, and their body feathers are a little bit deeper red.

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'm just throwing this out there...

Possibly a NHR x Buff Plymouth Rock. That would give the lighter color, lack of black in the rear feathers as well as maintaining the yellow legs.

Just an option...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by