Rhode Island Reds, sex links, hatching eggs, etc

Newbean

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
so I'm getting into the business of selling my hatching eggs. I had thought to do it locally, but am thinking about selling some on e-bay.

I have one rooster. Is it ok genetically to breed that rooster with his 'children'? My instinct is, no. But I thought I would check just in case things are different in the chicken world.

This isn't so much of a problem now, but in spring when the chicks I have from him start laying. I'm debating a second rooster.

The other question I have is about sex links. Black sex links in particular.

Now, I know that to get a black sex link you breed a RIR rooster with a Barred rock hen. I have some in a brooder now
big_smile.png

How would you advertise these eggs? I've seen other people post laughing about how they saw this ad somewhere and the person was selling 'sex link' hatching eggs, and they didn't think the person knew that a sex link mated with a sex link didn't breed true.

But is their any other way to note that what you have are indeed black sex link hatching eggs?

Now back to selling hatching eggs. Can anyone give me the how to's on shipping hatching eggs?

I don't have any really unique breeds, but I thought it might help the ladies pay for their feed if I could sell eggs for more than $2/dozen which is what eggs go for around her.

I would just advertise them as "RIR over Barred Rock (Black Sex Link) hatching eggs". If they are too stupid to know what that means then they don't need hatching eggs in the first place. As for the shipping question, be sure to carefully wrap each egg in small bubble wray and pack tightly in wadded up newspaer to make sure nothing can move around in the box. That will prevent excessive dammage if the P.O. plays football with the box
roll.png

when i worked at the genetics lab,, we would breed 2 mice, say the father had the "gene" we wanted to be passed on,, we'de breed the male to a female,, then, take all his daughters that had that "gene" or "trait" and breed back to him, that way all the babies from dad and daughters would have that "gene""trait". ,, but im not sure if that works with chickens,, im almost to the point of having to find out myself.

When I worked at the University, we needed mice and guinea pigs that were virtually clones genetically ( before cloning was available). I took inbred lines of mice and inbred them for another 27 generations before continueing the research. Same with the guineas. I saw no ill effects to these animals as any bad gene was eliminated generations before. I too used various line and strain crosses to compare research results .

I've bred the daughters back to the father for larger combs on females. It's when you breed 100% siblings to each other that you get issues...LOL. I also wouldn't breed a second generation (male and female bred together...daughter is bred back to male giving the second generation.) to the "grandfather". Just way too closely related because it would be the grandfather...AND the father.

As for the "poking fun" thing. It was because the person had advertised their chickens as "Purebred Sex-Links." There's no such thing as a purebred sex-link.

I would put on the ad that chicks hatched from these eggs can be sexed at hatch. These would be true sex link chicks, which you dont see very often on ebay. Most are selling eggs from sex links from the hatchery, the offspring of these would not be sex link. I think it sounds like a good idea, to sell your eggs on ebay. I have 5 pullets that I am raising that are brother sister mating offspring. They are barred rock, and are about 4 months old. They dont have 5 eyes or 3 wings, I mean they look normal. I am anxious to see how they lay, maybe they will lay square eggs!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom