Rhode Island Reds versus Araucanas

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Araucana, May 13, 2008.

1. Araucana

Araucana Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    We have 4 Araucanas and 2 Rhode Island Reds, and it seems like the Rhode Island Reds are a lot calmer than the Arauacanas. Is this true with all rhode Island Reds, or just ours?

2. Sparkalator

Sparkalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Florida
    The Araucanas I have now are the calmest chickens I have ever seen, but then they have had a lot of attention all their lives. As a youngster, my parents had RIR and I don't recall them being calm at all, but then again we were all terrified of Tom, the RIR rooster. :eek:

3. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I [​IMG] the green blue eggs so, I have tryed about 20 Aracanas!!!

They were all high strung I was only able to keep 2! although they are nice to us: they are so mean to the rest of flock 70% of the time!

All the RIR I have had are pretty calm, even sit there and fall asleep as you pet!

Joanne

4. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    Oooo! I don't have my araucanas yet. I am supposed to get some in a week or two. (waiting on a hatch) I'm so EXCITED!

I've got some RIRs, tho (hens only). And my grandmother raised them when I was a kid.

The RIRs seem pretty laid back to me, as far as that goes. They are very bossy and lord it over the other hens. They seem extremely like divas. Very snobby with all the other hens. And bossy, too! ("That is MY piece of crust, you filthy peasant!")

It will be interesting to see them together. I haven't written off the necessity of building a separate coop.

Cassandra

5. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I inherited 3 aracauna's along with 3 orphingtons, 2 australorps, 3 barred rock all about 10 mo old. The Aracaunas, were flighty and I was never able to tame them like the others. I have one left now, and I do love her blue egg. In her older age, she is quite docile and sweet.
    Anne

6. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    I have 3 RIR's and they are all high strung and down right rude at times.

7. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I have both breeds and I enjoy them both. The aracauna hen is not the broody type nor is she the type to let you handle her much but she is a good hen. The RIR is a broody type and now has her biddies. Even when she was sitting you could hold her and pet her; she is the gentlest bird.

I have a black sexlink that is sitting right now and she is down right mean! That bird would attack and looks like it too!

8. Becky89*

Becky89* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    Quote:My Araucanas are calm and quiet and gentle. My Rhode Island Reds are evil, they pick on everyone and they fly up and attack me everytime I go in the coop.

9. pookiethebear

pookiethebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    I have 7 RIR, 6 of them are 3 weeks old and 1 is 2 weeks old. The first 6 are great fun interactive birds. They come to me when they hear me. The peck at my fingers gently and couriously. One will even walk with me on her side of the brooder while I walk through and clean the duck's side of the brooder. She is my cutie pie. several of them will let me pet them (stroke their chests). I love them. The 2 week old - well he is raised with a mixed bag of other chicks, and they all run away and seem to be a bit high strung. I am hoping that they will see how the older ones interact with me and learn from it.

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    There is no such thing as a one chicken rule. All chickens are different, and their individual mannerisms highlighted when kept in small numbers like yours. Strains within a breed can vary widely, too, and a flock of RIR's from Texas can be dfferent from RIR's in Seattle.
    In general, hoever, the RIR will beat the A'cauna for docility.

Im not a huge fan of the blue egg, preferring brown. So I'd take RIR's over the A'caunas.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by