Rhode Island Reds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TriciaFran, Dec 22, 2016.

1. TriciaFran

TriciaFran New Egg

Feb 6, 2016
    I bought three one year old RIRs and when they were in their new coop, they started laying eggs immediately. They stopped laying eggs completely about three weeks ago. I have looked all over the yard, just in case. They are the only three in the coop, and they are sisters. They don't even like the nice warm nests we made for them. Any ideas are appreciated. Tricia

2. dragonthehunter

dragonthehunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2016
    New brunswick Canada
    Its winter

3. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    how long were they in the new coop before they stopped laying?
    most chickens slow or stop laying in the winter due to the lack of light, it could also be from moving them (stress)

Good Luck with your chickens

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Be a bit more specific on the Birds.....How long have you had them?
    The pecking order, if they were separated or not.....

Lots plays into eggs laying, not just Winter....

Cheers!

5. Vickie 51

Vickie 51 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2012
    There are a few things to consider.

Yes, it is winter, cold, with less light which can slow down or stop laying. However, some breeds (RIR INCLUDED) do young molts. My two (9 mos. old) did a minor molt just a bit on the chest and back of the neck and hardly noticeable however that also impacts on laying. Laying eggs takes protein as does replenishing feathers so laying slows down or stops. What you can try doing is increasing their protein intake and see if that helps. You can also use lights to simulate daytime but frankly I prefer to work with my girly-girls and let their bodies rest as needed. That is your choice. Other things that you might wish to investigate is their stress level. While according to what you say they adjusted to their new coop, has anything frightened them? Is some predator hanging around when you can't see and upsetting them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by