Rhode Island Reds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kgeorge, May 14, 2009.

1. kgeorge

kgeorge Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Beech Creek, PA
    I bought day-old RIR chicks from our local Calico Creek store. They are now 8 weeks old. I'm not sure if they really are RIR. A few of them are all dark reddish color, but most of them are a red/brown and cream or white color. Do RIR have different variations in their color or do I have something else? Anyone know? I don't have any pictures of the older birds. I just have a picture of the chicks.

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    can you post that photo?

3. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's my Rooster
    [​IMG]

Here's one of my hens. Both are a little over one year old.

[​IMG]

4. Chipper

Chipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Washington County, NY
    You probably got RIRs mixed with another breed, for better egg production.Hatcheries do this
    and most call them" Production Reds".If you want the real deal you will need to get them from a good breeder. [​IMG]

5. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Look on my BYC Page. The chick with the toy saddle on is a RIR pullet chick at 2 months.

That one is from a local hatchery. I have a true RIR hen but she is grown and very dark.

6. kgeorge

kgeorge Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Beech Creek, PA
    These are my chicks at a couple days old. I do not have a photograph of them at 2 months old. I'll try to do that tonight. Some of my birds must be the Production Reds. I don't really care, I guess, as long as they lay brown eggs.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by