Rhode Island Reds?

klazane

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 16, 2011
Bought these two at our local feed store yesterday. They said all the chicks were girls, but the lady who was there wasn't sure what kind most of them were. They said these were Rhode Island Reds, but they don't look as red as other pictures I've found online...they're like a strawberry blonde. Also, if you can tell me about how old they are, too, it would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.
smile.png

IMG_2543.JPG

IMG_2538.JPG

Hard to get real "purebred" chickens - looks more like new hampshire reds than rhode island to me. Wouldn't be a bad thing, I think the new hampshires have a nicer disposition. I've heard RI roos can get very nasty!

Laura

My RIRs are MUCH darker than that. These look more like my Buff orpingtons that are now 7 weeks. I think yours a bit younger than that. 5 weeks maybe?

These pictures are from my last batch of BOs - they are about 8 weeks in this picture. They actually are darker than the picture looks - the flash washed them out.
53430_buff_orps.jpg

I'd say 3 weeks. I have pictures of my chicks when they were that age and they kind of look similar (feather development wise). Sorry I don't know what breed.

I'd say they are at least 4 to 5 weeks old because they don't appear to have any awkward bald patches, or leftover fuzz.

They arn't sex links because those feather in white primaries, and do not have a uniform color like your chicks.

I don't believe they are Orps because thier faces are long and narrow, not short and round.

To be honest, I think you might have a couple of Buff Cornish chicks. How big are they? It's kind of hard to see their scale.

Thanks for the input, all. These are the first chickens we've ever had any experience with, so your help is greatly...well, helpful!
smile.png

I tried to get a picture of one with a 1-gal milk jug, but she wasn't cooperating too well. She was posing on the bricks, though, so hopefully that helps.

IMG_2579.JPG

This was right before I realized she can fly a couple feet horizontally; would that be typical of about 4-5 weeks?
IMG_2580.JPG

At this point, I'm hoping they're just about anything that'll lay relatively well!

Last edited:
I would say they look like buff orps to me. My sex links are darker and have some white feathers as well.

I am new at this but they look just like my buff orpingtons. I also have 4 rhode island reds...and your chicks look nothing like them. I think the buff's are pretty though and mine are really sweet!

Back
Top Bottom