Rhode Island Reds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jdeoliveira74, Mar 3, 2012.

1. jdeoliveira74

jdeoliveira74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    ok so my little chicks are starting to feather. I was told they were RIR's but there feathers are coming in white and red is this normal I was under the assumption that RIRs were dark in color. Here are some pics I will take some more today with there wings out. The one to the left and right are RIR or supposed to be. The one in the middle is an americauna[​IMG]

2. redheadfarmer

redheadfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    SW Ontario
    I think it depends on where you got your eggs from. We learned the hard way that "hatchery" eggs are not necessarily true to the breed. We got RIR but they turned out to be production reds instead. Not even close to the dark red of true RIR. Hopefully you have better luck!

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If they are hatchery or feed store chicks, they are more properly called production reds and Easter Eggers (EE's.) Production reds will often get some white or black feathers, and will be a much lighter color of reddish brown than breed standard RIR's. Read about the difference in our breeds section -- and see pics of RIR's and Ameraucanas that are closer to the breed standard. If they were labeled "Americauna," that's a giveaway right there, since there is no such breed. Production reds I believe are usually a cross between New Hampshire and Rhode Island Reds. Easter Eggers are also a cross, and I believe usually have some Ameraucana or Auracana in their background. (I don't know much about breeds.) You would pay more, often considerably more, to get show quality birds that more nearly represent the breed standard -- if you can even find them locally.

Lots of us have hatchery flocks, and they still lay great eggs, are lots of fun to watch, can be pets, etc. Hatchery birds are bred to lay particularly well. I have the same two types you have, and some others. I used to get gorgeous blue eggs, and one of my two reds is just full of personality. And, these breed names are commonly used by all the big hatcheries; it's not that you "got taken" by some small operation, at all. They're perfectly good chickens, they're just not show quality.

4. jdeoliveira74

Feb 15, 2012
    The ee's I got from a breeder and the RIR i got from Tractor supply co...
    thanks for info

5. Lapaysannefarm

Lapaysannefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Virginia
    When my Rhode Islands Red were chicks they had a deeper color, but maybe a production red?

6. jdeoliveira74

Feb 15, 2012
    I guess I will find out. I just hope they are all pullets... like they said!

7. jdeoliveira74

Feb 15, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG]

here is a better pic of colors there are supposed to be Rhode Island Reds

8. jdeoliveira74

Feb 15, 2012
    that is good to know. I am not rasing show birds they are pets with benifits...eggs ![​IMG]

9. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    Cute chicks!! [​IMG]

10. yes, they're cute.. i have RIR, they are friendly and nice to play with when i'm stressed from work

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by