1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island Reds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jamiebartlett, May 28, 2007.

1. jamiebartlett

jamiebartlett Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    Anyone have pics of RIR at 6-7 weeks old that I can compare my pair to? I know one is a definate girl, but I have my doubts about the other. It's stance, legs, feather color, everything but the comb is the same. Thanks, Jamie

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Here is a pullet at 6 weeks old. The darker one is the pure RIR, the more orangey red one is a RIR/Buff Orp cross, but I couldn't get her out of the pictures!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  3. w8tn4fresheggs

w8tn4fresheggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Nebraska
    Josephine at 6 weeks old. Hope it helps.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2007
  4. ChrissyNC

ChrissyNC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2007
    Richlands, NC
    These were my 5-6 week old RIR boys. (They all went to good homes last week, I couldn't keep seven roos around)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Chrissy, yours look like my girls do right now. In between feathers & fluff. Strange alien looking things, lol. One of mine had a butterscotch colored face until early last week. Now I can't tell her apart from the other 2.

6. jamiebartlett

jamiebartlett Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    ChrissyNC, did your boys have tailfeathers like the girls did in the pictures above like others have shown? Your boys look like they have feathers that stick upwards, rather than slanting towards the ground. Those were handsome boys!

What you think, can some pullets grow their combs faster than other pullets? [​IMG]

7. ChrissyNC

ChrissyNC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2007
    Richlands, NC
    Quote:Their tails grew out so much slower than my pullets, though my pullets are not RIR's, so maybe it was just a breed thing? The RIR roos were almost 7 weeks old when they were rehomed, and by that time their little white faces were completely red, but their tails were still stumpy with those upturned feathers.

Not sure about the pullet comb question. These chickens are my first, and of my different breeds, I can definitely see a difference in comb development. My Buff Orps are just starting to get little combs that stick up, but my BA's combs are almost further along. I am a little worried about one of my GL Wyandottes. Her comb is started to get really really red. Hopefully she doesn't end up being a HE.

8. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Josephine is the name of my almost 2 month old niece. [​IMG] She looks like my Rocky but Rocky has a bigger comb. Rocky's tail droops down like a tuff of feathers but not like Rowdy's tail.

9. wlz77

wlz77 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2007
    PA
    these are my girls . there about 6 weeks old they are so friendly. i just love the RIR.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by