Rhode Island Reds

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickenGirl18, Feb 2, 2015.

1. ChickenGirl18

ChickenGirl18 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2014
    Hey guys! Spring is almost here and I'm planning on getting Rhode Island Reds but, wanted to know if any of you guys have them and if you think they are friendly and interactive. Thank You![​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Hatchery RIR's can be aggressive toward each other, but not always. The Heritage RIR are much calmer and docile. Hatcheries breed birds to be good layers and sometimes the personalities can suffer. But don't let this dissuade you. I know lots of people with very friendly RIR's. Just make SURE to give them plenty of space and things to do...5 square feet per bird in the coop, 10 square feet per bird in the run. Put a big mirror in the run, a ladder for places to climb, seed pecking blocks help to work to vent frustration and hanging cabbages or apples help to break up boredom.

And get them outside once a day even if that is for 30 mins. Free ranging really helps the emotional state of birds.

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new journey you are on! If you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  4. ChickenGirl18

ChickenGirl18 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2014
    Thanks TwoCrows this was very helpful! I have a pretty good size chicken coop with a big run so, they should be happy in there! Thanks again!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Two Crows has given you some good advice. I have one hatchery Rhode Island Red. She has not been mean to my other birds, but hasn't been my friendliest chicken. Still, you'll get a lot of eggs from Rhode Island Reds, especially from the hatchery strains!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. I've had a number of Rhode Island Reds over the years, and they are excellent layers, but they do sometimes have aggressive tendancies (especially the roosters). If you're really wanting a calm and gentle breed (a potential lap pet) I would suggest going with a different breed. Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Cochins, Sussex, and Faverolles all have well deserved reputations for being calm, gentle, and friendly birds. If excellent egg production is a priority, Australorps will are excellent layers, often outlaying Rhode Island Reds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whether you decide to go with RIRs or some other breed, good luck with your flock.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Cute avatar!

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by