Rhode Island Rooster or Hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hydestone, Nov 22, 2010.

1. hydestone

hydestone Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    I have 3 RI Reds. They all hatched in May 2010. Recently I noticed one of them has a larger comb and waddle than the others. I have never heard it crow. Today however, I was installing a new ladder type perch in their run when it started making loud noises. Not necessarily a crow, but definitely much louder than anything I've heard from the reds or my 3 plymouth rocks.

The tail feathers do not appear to be different. Would their tail feathers be different at this age - 7 months. None of the 6 chickens that were hatched in May have laid eggs yet. What age do roosters start to crow?

Can you tell by looking at their feet? Are there any other distinctions with their feathers, ie rounded at the ends v pointed?

Thanks

2. peewee6765

peewee6765 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    If you have a run it probably wasnt the egg laying song which I thought it was.

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    By that age roosters will have long pointy shiny saddle feathers, and hens will have duller rounded feathers. Saddle feathers are located on the back in front of the tail.

4. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    I just butchered my RIR roosters that hatched in mid June. They had been crowing for a few weeks. It's not the typical crow from older roosters, but a definate crow. There should be a pretty noticeable difference between your hens and rooster by now. If they aren't all that different, you probably have all of one sex... I would also suspect that you should've gotten an egg by now, too.

5. hydestone

hydestone Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Here are some pictures of the chickens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I answered it on your other thread. That is a hen. Please post a subject in only one area at a time. [​IMG]

7. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    hen. Love the 6th pic...looks like the caption should read "SEE no pointy saddle feathers! I'm a girl, please don't eat me!!" [​IMG]

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Hen fixin to lay. Hers a 6 month old roo.[​IMG]

9. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:x2 They're all girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by