Rhode Island White Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by countryboy1, Dec 14, 2009.

1. countryboy1

countryboy1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Waterloo Illinois
    Anyone know of someone that will sell me rhodeisland white hatching eggs or chicks. I really want some please help.

2. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I think Opa has them

3. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

I don't think Opa has them. I've never seen RI whites when I was over there recently. I could be wrong though.

Bluemoon

4. Flippacase

Flippacase Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Massachusetts
    i have an ri white hen. no fertile eggs though [​IMG]

i read that the breed is very rare.

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    someone on here has them or did

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Are you wanting the single combed hatchery "RIWs", or the true rosecomb RIWs ?

I think KellyHM has the rose combed ones.

7. felixhoy

felixhoy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2009
    Mulberry Ks.
    I see this is an old thread but in case anyone might want real RC Rhode Island White large chickens, I will have some for sale this 2014 season. Not until late spring and they are very nice birds. Some of the big hatcheries advertise SC RI White but they are NOT recognized and are smaller birds. The commercial birds are good layers and I do keep a few myself but the real RC RI Whites are truly wonderful chickens and very rare. felix

8. lfranklin03

lfranklin03 New Egg

Feb 7, 2013
    West of Nashville, TN
    Do your Rhode Island Whites have rose combs? Do you have any hatching eggs available for shipping or chicks available for shipping? This seems to be a cool breed that we need to protect. If not, where can you find the true Rhode Island Whites that are true to standards?

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

cmom

BYC member here has the real thing.

10. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes. Rhode Island White is an extremely rare breed. As often is the case, don't believe the stuff hatcheries put on their websites in terms of "breeds". 99% of the stuff they sell are healthy, affordable and available, but rarely are the birds even close to the Standard for the breeds they purport them to be.

RIW are rose combed and only rose combed. Further, they must have the same brick shape as the Rhode Island Red, ie, the elongated block body, long flat back and protruding keel. They are held to the same Standard as the Reds, sans the color, of course.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by