Rhode Island White Rooster was killed last night (West Central Florida

Grampa with chickens

Songster
14 Years
Nov 23, 2008
Brooksville, Florida
I hate this.

My RIW Roo "Bruce" was taken last night by something. He did his job and protected his hens and gave himself.

Now I need a Pure RIW roo so my girls can have chicks. Anybody close to Brooksville/Tampa/Bradenton/Sarasota have a roo to get rid of??

I travel to these places for work and can pickup during the day. Any help would be great. THe roo can be any age as the girls aren't laying at the moment anyway. Just let me know what you want for him.

I will miss him..............

I dont have a rooster for you, but I want to say I am sorry for your loss, it sounds like he was being a very noble rooster!!

Take care, and I hope you find a good rooster!
Tina

Sorry about your rooster. I have extra RIR roosters. I live near Macon, Georgia. Too far to drive I know, if anyone you know is on trip on I-75 in this area I can let you have a couple. They are young adults, just started crowing.

Thanks folks,
I'm on the hunt for a replacement roo. Vic, thanks for the offer, but I need a white roo as my hens are whites.

Ruffle, keep me in mind. I'll let you know if I find one. I'm going to auction this weekend to sell some rabbits, so maybe I'll get lucky and find one.

Everybody keep me in mind if you run across one.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Don't know your situation, but roos can fertilize hens for up to 30 days. If your hens lay any in the next 30 days you might try incubating the eggs and get another roo that way.
hmm.png

Yes, I have been watching them. I haven't had eggs since october. The hens are on strike. One started to lay and I got 4 eggs. I popped them into the bator, but none of them developed. But now nobody is laying. My dominiques are due tomorrow, so if the Whites start to lay I will definely try and incubate some.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I will (am) doing just that.

Another thought. You might could get them to lay if you put a artificial light on them for the next few days. Just trying to help. I really hate you lost your roo. I can feel your pain. Hope you can get an egg or two to incubate. If it were me hatching and I wanting roos, I'd get hens. If I wanted hens, I'd get roos. Maybe the hand of fate will send you some roo eggs.
wink.png

Well I went to auction this weekend and had NO luck in my Roo search. No RIW of any kind.

I will keep looking.

I am going to figure out a way to throw some light out at the coop and maybe get the girls to get busy. I'm running out of time.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and I will keep all options open.

Back
Top Bottom