Rhode Island Whites? Answers needed please

Lover-of-Poultry

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Tennessee
Hello fellow BYCers.

I have a few quick questions.

1) I was thinking about starting to raise Rhode Island Whites= I have raised the reds for a number of years now but wondering if they are any different.

2) In the show rings how well do they generally show against other birds ( like county where the whites would face the reds etc.)

and finally

3) Does anyone here raise them and is there any way that you could post pics.

THANKS BUNCHES YA'LL!!!!

Last edited:
I think a topic title change might be needed here. I'm sure many people looked, but didn't know so didn't respond.

How about "Rhode Island Whites? Questions, Need Information!" or something like that. I've never even heard of them, so I can't answer.

Real RIW's are hard to find might be a hand full in the U.S.A.. There was a person on the RIR club page looking for them and and some of the breeders and judges on there hadent seen any real RIW's in the past 15 years...
I do know that they differ from RIR's in the make up..

RIR's: Red Malay Game, Leghorn and Asiatic native stock.

RIW's: Partridge Cochins, White Wyandottes and Rose Comb White Leghorns.
where did you get you RIR's at?
Chris

Thanks for the suggestion ranchhand I am still relatively new here and need a little help now and then
wink.png

Chris, I got my RIR's from a private breeder.

But I do have one that was given to me but I am not sure where he came from- if he was private bred or bred in a hatchery. Im not real sure.

But my pullets and one of my roosters definately private breeder whos chicks are so dark mahogany colored they are nothing like the ones from Tractor Supply (which would really be from Mt.Healthy) or from any hatchery I have found. And they do better than those from the hatchery as well. But other than that
idunno.gif

We raise rose comb RIW's and rose comb RIR's and ours came from a private breeder who imported the eggs from Europe. The chickens are similar in size and such but are not related. The both originated in Rhode Island and that's where the kinship ends. Ours came from show stock so I'm hoping for some pretty birds. We do not show chickens so I can't help you on that. Our RIR's are so dark they look purple!! They are gorgeous. I don't have any pics of them and it's dark outside right now. If I get a chance tomorrow I will try to get you some pics.

O that would be great Kristen. Our RIRs arent that dark but they are near it but mine are single comb as well. All but Ole' Red the one that I entered in a few contest here that was give to me, but even he is single combed
smile.png

Is there anyway that you will be selling any fertile eggs or chicks off yours? I am thinking about getting started in them but I would prefer to buy from a breeder and not a hatchery
wink.png

O and I would love to see some of yours if you dont mind and when you get a chance
big_smile.png

Yes we will be selling eggs off of both breeds. It will be later this Summer or early Fall. What part of TN are you in, we are in Tupelo. We come to Memphis ALL the time, and even make it to nashville sometimes too. We go all over in search of chickens we want LOL!!! We are trying to specialiize in rare breeds chickens and turkeys, so here's never any telling what I may end up with.

O let me see here cause the town I live in is a tiny one, Do you know where Cookeville is?

O and I really appreciate it
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom