Rhode Island Whites or White Rocks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BUMPKIN, Jan 20, 2011.

1. BUMPKIN

BUMPKIN Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    Southeast Louisiana
    I have decided I want some white, brown egg layers. I've narrowed my choices down to WR or RIW, but I know nothing about either's laying ability. If anybody has any info or experience with them,
    please let me know. Thank you in advance. [​IMG]

Marilyn

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Are you wanting real ones or hatchery ones ? Hatchery Single Combed ( RIWs) are not real RIWs as the true breed only comes in Rose Comb, I think the single Combed ones should be called Production Whites, just as Hatchery "RIRs" are more correctly called Production Reds.

But the hatchery "Production Whites" as I call them are what you are wanting, then they are pretty decent layers and mine laid a nice dark reddish brown egg.

I havent had any experience with White Rocks but if you are wanting to get them from a hatchery, from what I've seen, Mt Healthy has a really nice big strain of them for hatchery birds. Or you could find a pretty of real Heritage White Rocks.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Are you wanting real ones or hatchery ones ? Hatchery Single Combed ( RIWs) are not real RIWs as the true breed only comes in Rose Comb, I think the single Combed ones should be called Production Whites, just as Hatchery "RIRs" are more correctly called Production Reds.

But the hatchery "Production Whites" as I call them are what you are wanting, then they are pretty decent layers and mine laid a nice dark reddish brown egg.

I havent had any experience with White Rocks but if you are wanting to get them from a hatchery, from what I've seen, Mt Healthy has a really nice big strain of them for hatchery birds. Or you could find a pretty of real Heritage White Rocks.

[​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh, don't forget that there are also White Orpingtons available (yes I know, off topic). [​IMG]

5. BUMPKIN

BUMPKIN Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    Southeast Louisiana
    Mornin' Everybody!
    Thanks for the info. I knew I could count on ya'll. [​IMG] I didn't know about the difference in the combs. And, of course, now I like the looks of the buff rocks, too. [​IMG] (and the Columbian and the Delawares and the........you get the idea) Decisions, decisions! [​IMG] Thanks again, everybody!

Marilyn

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yep there is a difference in combs, and also unlike other breeds that have a lot of color varieties, Rhode Island Reds and Rhode Island Whites are not the same breed. RIWs are only recognized as a Rose combe be and I'm not sure if there is a bantam version or not. But RIRs are accepted as Single AND Rose combs in both Large fowl and Bantams.

And yep, thats the way most of us are, narrow down a couple of breeds only to find more, lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by