Rhode Island Whites/Reds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MeghanChickLady, Oct 29, 2014.

1. MeghanChickLady

MeghanChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2014
    Post pics of your Rhode Island White/Red roos and hens, tell funny stories. I have five RIW. How many do YOU have?

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    White?
    I dont think there are white rirs.Thr rir rooster is brown and black.
    A rir makes tetra tints.Tetra tints are brown with white everywhere,the sexlink rooster also looks very similar to them. I think you have tetrra tints...

But here is my 1 year and 5 montgs old hen,named chitchat.
    [​IMG]

3. englishcockers

englishcockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2014
    Morrill Nebraska
    I don't have any RIW's but I'll affirm they exist
    to quote Wikipedia:
    "The Rhode Island White is a breed of chicken originating in the U.S. state of Rhode Island. Despite their very similar names and shared place of origin, the Rhode Island White is a distinct breed from the Rhode Island Red. However, Rhode Island Reds and Whites can be bred together to create Red Sex Link hybrid chickens."
    and further:
    "Rhode Island Whites arose from the work of J. Alonzo Jocoy of Peacedale, Rhode Island, which began in 1888. Developed through crosses of Partridge Cochins, White Wyandottes, and the rose comb type of White Leghorn, it was solidified as a breed by 1903. It was first accepted into the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection in 1922. Moderately popular up until the 1960s, it is now a relatively rare fowl. It is listed on the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy as a breed to watch, with less than 3,000 birds known to have existed circa 2003. Like most standard breeds, it also appears in a bantam variety."
    Wikipedia isn't totally reliable but I'm sure this is close to accurate.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    RIW is very much a recognized breed.

http://www.livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/riwhite

5. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    There are vary few hatcheries that have them but they are not great birds in meeting the physical appearance of their breed standards. Also as a breed they are only recognized as having rose combs. I have seen many folks selling RIWs with single combs that just look like small white Rocks of poor quality. Avoid those single combed birds if you want true RIW.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by