Rhode Island Whites vs Delawares?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OkChickens, Jun 17, 2011.

1. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I am wanting to breed Red and Black Sexlinks next year. I am wondering which would be better for the sexlinks. Which are better egg layers?

Nate

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Crowing Premium Member

Hi Nate,

This spring, I was emailing with a person who raises chickens professionally and sells their brown eggs. He called the chickens 'gold sex-links'. The father is RIR and the hen was a Rhode Island White. == He said that the gold sex-link is a little smaller than the black and thus consumes less feed.

Subsequently I obtained a gold sex-link also called Golden Comet around here....this bird is amazing. I call her 'wonder chicken'. Today is the 53rd or 54th day in a row that this little chicken has produced an enormous egg. She is bright, friendly and amazing. I need to get an egg scale...the eggs are so big, I want empirical verification. I thought today's looked like a duck egg. So that is one cross RIR x RIW.

I have a couple of barred rocks too---and I hear that RIR x Barred Rock is the Black sex-link or black star. They are a little larger than the previous cross. I'm considering down the road to perhaps raise some of them.

Sometimes it seems a bit difficult to get good info. on sex-links because they aren't a 'breed'.

Good luck with your plans. Also I looked at your page...nice eggs, nice chickens.

cheers!

3. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I have had such a demand for Sex links around here, I just have to find something to do with all the roosters.

Nate

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Grow them out and eat them! [​IMG]

5. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Kathy,

I don't think you quite understand the quantity of eggs I will be hatching probably 1 RIR Rooster and 7 or 8 RIW hens and 1 RIR Rooster and 7 or 8 Barred rock hens. That will make a lot of roosters!

Also are you Npip?

Nate

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:No, I am not NPIP.

7. OkChickens

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Ahhhhhh I want Icelandics very bad!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't find anyone who is!!! Thanks though!

Nate

8. Arielle

Arielle Crowing

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Try this website: Feathersite.com Great as a resource of information from many sources. Look under breeds of chickens then click on Black sex link.

It will take you to a page that is a bit technical, but I think this is what you are looking for. I've read it several times, trying to absorb it The purpose of the white birds is really to get the silver gene. And I'm going to bet that the golden comets are actually a cross using 2 special lines, not the typical OTC lines.

I have read but have not tested the theory that vinegar at 1 tablespoon per gallon will increase the number of females hatched; I've read from a reliable source that males are 50-55% of the hatch. So I'm planning to test the theory. You can see why commercial hatcheries only keep what they can sell and ditch the rest.

Hope this is helpful. GL

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:I know of folks who breed for sex-links who keep a list of reptile owners who buy the cockerals. I know this will upset some folks, but snake gotta eat, too.

10. Tracie

Tracie Chirping

Aug 17, 2010
    Jackson, MI
    [​IMG] I have one Rhode Island White and a hen and one Delaware hen they nice grils, they lay me lot of eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by