RHODE ISLANDS AND GOLDEN COMETS

krasmussen

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
thinkin about buying some RRI's or some NHR about 15 in all to raise and butcher any one have any experience with breeding either of the reds to comets. thinking i will keep back a roo from the first batch and put him with about 3 comet hens for a second batch of fryers.
thank for anyones input

Last edited:
Well, you can do it, but golden comets are cross bred and won't breed true. They will also be all probably all skinny and small unlike any meat bird you find in the store. They will take probably 12-16 weeks to reach a eatable weight, and still be half the size of the birds you can buy at the store who were butchered at 8 weeks old.

You can try it if you like, but don't expect store type meat from them. Some do prefer the leaner bird, and if that is the case, go for it.

if you use rir on the comet the offspring will be 3/4 RIR,not the greatest meat bird I have some BO/rsx crosses and they are starting to get some meat on them but I hatched them Dec 1st,If you have free food for them and want to cook 2 instead of one chicken for dinner no problem,,as a kid thats all we ever ate and they taste good,but if you have to buy feed for them it wont come out very good on the wallet

Back
Top Bottom