Rhode Islands, Isa browns, Leghorns, Special Blacks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Autumnswirl, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Autumnswirl

Autumnswirl Just Hatched

Jul 10, 2016
    First I want to thank all of you, I've been getting a lot of my chicken questions answered by searching the internet sense April, and I almost always end up on Backyard Chickens.

I bought 7 day old chicks from TSC on April 15th, and then 6 more the next week. Of the initial 7, 5 came from pullet bins- 3 leghorns, 2 ISA browns, and 2 came from a straight run bin- they were the last 2 in it, both were supposed to be "special blacks". The next week, I picked up one more special black straight run, 3 Rhode Island Red straight runs, and 2 more ISA brown pullets. I did find out the special blacks were supposed to be a cross of Rhode Island Reds and something else which I cant remember.

One of the special blacks from the first group died by the end of the first week.

Fast forward to today. The flock appears healthy, they are free range and locked up every night.
    I am positive the second weeks special black is a rooster, and he is going to be stunning. The other special black turned out to be a bantam. also very pretty.

From all the research I've done, I am not going to attempt to sex the leghorns- to many hens are thought to be roosters right up until they lay an egg.

The Isa Browns are supposed to be hens, I have heard of a few that turned out to be roosters, but all 4 of mine have small combs, yellowish, and only one appears to have longer saddle feathers but they are rounded on the ends.

The Rhode Island Reds I am wondering about. They all almost look the same, but ones comb is turning red before the other 2, all combs are small.

I've come to the conclusion that I am comparing them all to the rooster, so due to how roosterish he looks, they all look like hens to me. So Im going to post a few pictures to see what you all think.
    Rhode Island Reds: (mixed in with the others, the reds are darker than the isa, and the rooster makes an appearance in the last 2 pics) (11 weeks + a few days old today)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The other questionable chicken is the bantam (bought from straight run special black bin, April 15th) "She" is questionable because very small yellowish comb, no red anywhere on head, thick legs, distinctively rounded feathers on hackles and saddles, has been seen crowing. "She" is true to bantam nature, quick to run and hard to get photos of. "She" is the tiniest chicken in the pictures. Im still leaning towards hen. (12 weeks, 2 days old today)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And finally, just because he is so pretty, the rooster (special black mixed run bin, 11 weeks + a few days old today)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Your little bantam looks like a Gold Sebright and Sebright hens have a reputation for crowing. From 10-12 weeks pullets will start colouring up and sprouting combs and wattles, some faster than others.

3. Autumnswirl

Autumnswirl Just Hatched

Jul 10, 2016
    Thank you for that info! Because I thought she was a hen until I saw her crow, so this helps a lot!

4. Lil Peeps

Lil Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    Your bantam definitely looks like a Golden Sebright, and she also looks very much like a hen to me. I have a bantam hen who lays an egg almost everyday and she also crows almost every morning! She's also not with a rooster so I guess she is taking both roles! You have very beautiful chickens and your rooster is absolutely stunning!!!!

5. Lil Peeps

Lil Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    The only one that looks like a rooster; is your rooster. The rest of them all look like hens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by