Rhode Islands...... maybe?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MrsCadenhead, Jan 16, 2013.

1. MrsCadenhead

MrsCadenhead Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    These are my two red girls I got at an auction. I didn't realize how many red breeds there are out there, and I've just assumed they're Rhode islands... But one is significantly lighter, and the other (older) hen has a dark tail! Just curious to see what everyone thinks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Go easy on me, I'm new at this! :)

2. MrsCadenhead

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    Here are a few crappy pictures of the rooster that came with them, for good measure..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Welcome and congrats on your birds!

The roo looks like he could be a rhode island red. He looks to have the nice darker red coloring. But, as you pointed out, the pic quality is.....well........crappy.

In the first pic, the hen on top looks to have easter egger heritage. She looks to have a pea comb and beard/muffs, is that correct? She may well lay you green eggs. The second hen doesn't look like an easter egger, but not really a rhode island red. More like a generic red layer, or production red.

4. MrsCadenhead

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    Thanks for your help! I think that both girls have a pea comb. I never really thought to observe the difference before! The coloring of both is very different in person, also. In the first picture, the top hen is a dark rich red in person, while the bottom hen looking at the camera is a lighter orange color.
    I can't wait to see what color eggs we get! :) I'll be sure to let you know when we find out, it'll help solve the mystery! :)

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Nice birds!
    [​IMG]

6. MrsCadenhead

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    Thank you!! :) my other two are Dominiques. Needless to say, they weren't as hard to identify! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by