Rhode Islands...... maybe?

MrsCadenhead

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 15, 2013
Georgia
These are my two red girls I got at an auction. I didn't realize how many red breeds there are out there, and I've just assumed they're Rhode islands... But one is significantly lighter, and the other (older) hen has a dark tail! Just curious to see what everyone thinks!

Go easy on me, I'm new at this! :)

Welcome and congrats on your birds!

The roo looks like he could be a rhode island red. He looks to have the nice darker red coloring. But, as you pointed out, the pic quality is.....well........crappy.

In the first pic, the hen on top looks to have easter egger heritage. She looks to have a pea comb and beard/muffs, is that correct? She may well lay you green eggs. The second hen doesn't look like an easter egger, but not really a rhode island red. More like a generic red layer, or production red.

Thanks for your help! I think that both girls have a pea comb. I never really thought to observe the difference before! The coloring of both is very different in person, also. In the first picture, the top hen is a dark rich red in person, while the bottom hen looking at the camera is a lighter orange color.
I can't wait to see what color eggs we get! :) I'll be sure to let you know when we find out, it'll help solve the mystery! :)

Back
Top Bottom