Rhodebar Hatching Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cafrhe, Nov 5, 2014.

1. cafrhe

cafrhe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Western central NJ
    Hi! This is Jenn's daughter!
    11 days ago, we bought 7 Rhodebar hatching eggs and placed them under our broody BO. Today, day 11, I candled them. Only 3 were developing; they were mostly dark with veins and air sacks. The other 4 were clear, with only air sacks. Should it be evident by now if they are fertile or not? And when should we remove them by to prevent explosions?
    Thanks!

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yes, by day eleven you can tell who's fertile and whp's not. You should be able to see veins and little embryos by this time if they're coming along. I'd go ahead and take the non developing ones now. Usually a broody kicks them before it's a problem but better safe than sorry - I had an egg explode under my silkie once and from now on I always candle and pull clears and ones that died during development if the broody hasn't already.

3. cafrhe

Apr 23, 2014
    Western central NJ
    Thanks for your reply Pyxis. My daughter also contacted the breeder and he suggested waiting until day 15. I didnt see the eggs, but my daughter said that the 3 that had developed were very obvious and the 4 with no development were very clear with an air sac. The hen is still sitting like a champ, she has not kicked any eggs out. I find it hard to imagine that the clear eggs will develop, but it would be very nice lol! We know all of the eggs were laid on the same day. We were there when the breeder collected them.

Thanks again

4. cafrhe

Apr 23, 2014
    Western central NJ
    Well we candled the eggs again and got the expected result. We cracked one of the duds open to make ourselves feel better that they were not growing. The developing eggs looked completely dark except the air sac.

The unexpected thing is that when we were putting the eggs back in the nest we realize that there was an extra egg...I think it had to be her egg. She has been separated from the others in her own box with a small run.

5. cafrhe

Apr 23, 2014
    Western central NJ
    We are getting close to the end. The eggs should hatch on Friday or Saturday. I am really hoping all 3 developing chicks hatch out. I have a very excited little girl waiting for Friday. Of course it gets really cold on Wed night. I am a little worried about the cold.

Chicken is still solidly sitting on her eggs. I think she comes out every other day. We finished the new 8x10 coop and moved everyone into it last Sunday. I made a shelf along the long side and put the roost on it. I partitioned off an area under the shelf for her. So she has had a 2.5' x 4.5' area to herself with her nest box.

6. cafrhe

Apr 23, 2014
    Western central NJ
    [​IMG]

7. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I actually have incubator babies due Saturday :) I wish you luck!

8. cafrhe

Apr 23, 2014
    Western central NJ
    Good luck with your hatching!!

9. cafrhe

Apr 23, 2014
    Western central NJ
    1 chick so far. I heard peeping when I checked on her. Took a quick picture for the kids and will leave her alone now!

[​IMG]

10. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Woo! I have two pips so far. No zipping yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by