1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Rhodebar sexing question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by QuoVadis, Jun 27, 2016.

1. QuoVadis

QuoVadis Chirping

Sep 15, 2013
    I got s few Rhodebar eggs in a hatching egg assortment, but unfortunately one was infertile, and so I only had two hatch. I looked at pictures of how to sex them (since this is my first time with an auto sexing breed). The first one is very clearly a boy. He is a light red with cream stripes on his back and a cream spot on his head. The second one hatched later (it was in an incubator instead of under a hen) and I am a little puzzled by it. It is almost a solid red color (like a RIR/production red type color) with no cream stripes I can see or any lighter spot on the head. It has a hint of a darker stripe on the back, but is by no means the chipmunk-y looking chick I'd expect from a female. I can try to get pictures, but what do you guys think?

Maybe it is just a unusual looking male and this is wishful thinking because I was really hoping for a male and female to hatch chicks out of!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by