1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhodey is trying to crow!!! WOOT!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gumpsgirl, May 24, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I was just outside to check on the chicks. I had already gone into the coop and let the older ones out for the day. While I was out by the run feeding the hens some fresh pick grass seed, I heard a terrible noise coming from inside the coop. I ran to the door and realized that Rhodey, my 10 wk. old roo, had gone back inside. At first I thought he was just pestering the 5 wk. olds, so I scolded him and send him out of the coop. Then I heard it again and realized that he is trying to crow! [​IMG] It scared me to death at first! Oh my word!!! What a funny noise! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  2. Plymouthroxgal

Plymouthroxgal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    yeah my Lil roo does the same thing it sounds like he swallowed a sqweeky toy Lol

3. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Don't you just love them?! My first chicks were being brooded upstairs and I heard a really strange noise coming from that room. When I went up to check it out, I found my little Silver Spangled Hamburg roo, sitting on the edge of the brooder box, crowing his little head off [​IMG] He was pretty young, only around 6 wks old. My other rooster chicks didn't crow until way after that.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I've never really viewed the first crowing attempts with such glee, as I can't have roos where I currently live!
    But I'll bet it is a treat for those who can enjoy them.

5. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    You wont be saying that at 3 in the morning in a month or two

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I dont even mind when they crow at 2 a.m. Makes me smile. [​IMG]

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I really don't think it will bother me either, Cyn! I think it's quite wonderful! I was just so proud to hear him trying it out. [​IMG] It almost felt like watching one of my kids taking their first step! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by