1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhodey, my roo, is in love... (this is quite a shocker!)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gumpsgirl, Jul 30, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    ... with me!!! [​IMG] He follows me around the yard all of the time talking to me (bhak-bhak talk!) and I just thought he was being a good boy and my buddy. Well, this morning when I let them all out to free range he came right up to me so I squatted down to chat with him. He proceeded to drop his wing and do his little rooster dance back and forth, back and forth. He then... (drum roll please) jumped up in my face and pecked my nose! [​IMG] It hurt, but I got so tickled at him that I sat there and laughed! I couldn't believe it! What a silly guy! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    good to hear things are looking up for you and your chickens...

Rhodey sounds like a real character and a people chicken... [​IMG]

My hen Churkey used to show me the same kind of affection, she'd jump in my lap when i sat in the yard and would "bwark" at my fiancee if she got close.

You should test Rhodey's love the same way using your husband as "bait".....

3. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I don't know if my husband would appreciate that very much. The chickens make him a little nervous. He was raised in the city and never had any experience with animals until he met me. If Rhodey went after him, I believe he'd pass out! [​IMG]

4. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:[​IMG] That was me before I read your post, afterwards this was me [​IMG] [​IMG] of course I have coffee dripping down my face too! [​IMG]

What a funny roo! Thanks for making my morning!

5. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I thought it was pretty funny! I was really loving the dance show he was putting on for me, but I would have never guessed he was going to peck me too! That was just to darn funny! [​IMG] I'm still laughing about it!

6. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    He probably just wanted to do what roosters were created to do. [​IMG] [​IMG] lol

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yep, he has it bad for ya, Stacey, LOL. The problem is that what is cute now could escalate into something not so wonderful. One time when Suede was younger, he ran down the hill and did the wing drag thing. I wasn't sure if he was doing it at me or the young ladies in a nearby pen, but just to be safe, I grabbed up his hefty kiester and toted him around for awhile. I didnt want him bringing me down level with his other women. Whether it was my quick action or he really was aiming it at the other nearby ladies, he never did it again. Make sure Rhodey knows YOU are in charge, not him. Its great that he's friendly. He just needs to know his place in the scheme of things.

8. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks for the advice there Cyn! He just better behave, or he will definitely be out of here. I'm not having anything that I feed and take care of flog me. That will be it! We have crow downs every once in awhile! I won't back off until he does. It's kinda funny! He does get packed around just so he knows who is alpha and who is not. If he does it again, under my arm he will go and we will just have to take a nice long walk. [​IMG] It just caught me so off guard, it was made into something funny!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I would have laughed, too, then grabbed up his feathered behind. I bet he's just a youngster feeling his oats, so to speak.

10. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I guess I should have grabbed him up. Normally if he would have just bit me, I would have, but the dance was to funny! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by