Rhubarb Jam

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by redhen, May 9, 2011.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    My neighbor gave me her rhubarb jam recipe.. it looks super easy. (which is what i need,.. [​IMG].)
    My question is: HOW do i "jar" or can this stuff? She said she just puts it in sealed tupperware bowls..and its lasts till winter or longer in the fridge...
    Ehh... i'm worried about that... should i be?
    OOH and another question.... can i add fresh strawberries to it? Or will that make it go bad faster??

Heres the recipe..it IS yummy..

5 cups diced rhubarb
    3 cups sugar

Combine rhubarb and sugar in bowl---- let set overnight
    Cook to boil (15 minutes-will make its own juice)
    Stir in 1- (3oz) pkg strawberry gelatin (powder only)

*can mash rhubarb if too chunky*

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I'll bet you could freeze it just fine, like regular strawberry freezer jam.

3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:How do i freeze it?? Freezer baggies? and can i add real strawberries? Or will they be too watery if i freeze? THanks!

4. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    You can buy glass freezer jars - I've seen 1/2pint & pint sizes but I bet they make quarts too.

I used these for peach butter last year & just finished the last of it this morning.
    It freezes right in the jars after cooling to room temperature.
    Then defrost jars in the fridge as needed.

My rhubarb is just coming up but I think I see this jam in its future [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have not yet canned rhubarb, but according to the Ball canning book:

Stir rhubarb and sugar and let stand 3-4 hours in a cool place. Then put in a saucepot and slowly bring to a boil, boil 30 seconds. Pack hot rhubarb into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Water bath 15 minutes.

And yes, I think strawberries would be fine with it.

Here's a Strawberry Rhubarb jam from the Ball book (I love this book!)
    2 cups crushed strawberries
    2 cups chopped rhubarb (about 4 stalks)
    1 package powdered pectin
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    5 1/2 cups sugar

Combine strawberries, rhubarb, powdered pectin, and lemon juice in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Return to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary. Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water canner.

6. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Sounds good but now I want some rhubarb now.

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:THank you!! I'll have to try this! [​IMG]

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:They have freezer jars?? Where?? Walmart?? That would be a perfect solution for me! [​IMG]

9. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I've gotten them at Walmart & at my local Centrella market (Strack & Van Til)

I just got a flyer from Menard's that had pint jars on sale $7 for 12, not sure if they were the freezer jars or not...

They work great & look pretty to give as gifts if you get the quilted pattern ones.
    (although usually folks are so happy to get home-made stuff they could care less about that)

Will my rhubarb grow quicker if I talk to it? [​IMG]

10. JesseK

JesseK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    IA
    I'm new to canning - does anyone have an opinion...if I did can these in a water bath instead of freeze, would that work? Or would it change the jam getting it that hot?

Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by