Rhubarb poisoning

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CynthiaM, May 15, 2009.

1. CynthiaM

CynthiaM Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    Webster's Corners, B.C.
    I have a concern that a two month old barred rock pullet may have rhubarb poisoning. I found rhubarb leaves outside the pen and the kids said that they fed a chick some rhubarb. No other chicks are sick, there is about 12 chicks in there.

What can be done if this is poisoning. I cannot be sure that she ate any, but her first poop was quite burgundy coloured. She has been getting more sick and has a runny poop this morning.

I can't think of any other reason why she is sick. Would antibiotics help? What? Have a great day.

2. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    This is from a NY Times site, for a human, but the charcoal sounds right to deactivate.

What to Expect at the Emergency Room
    The health care provider will measure and monitor your vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. Symptoms will be treated as appropriate. You may receive:

Activated charcoal
    Fluids by IV
    Tube through the mouth into the stomach to wash out the stomach (gastric lavage)

It is not a virus or bacterial, so antibiotics are useless. We used to use the activated charcoal for aquarium filters, but that was long, long ago. And I would be too scared to lavage a chicken....

Cheri​

3. detali

detali Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Rhubarb leaves are laxative by nature. I suspect that after a bout of diahrea you chicken out to be fine.[​IMG]

4. CynthiaM

CynthiaM Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    Webster's Corners, B.C.
    Nope, now I think that she had an impacted crop. The crop is quite large and squishy feeling.

I have looked over and over on the internet, it seems it is surgery or massaging the crop after giving it some mineral oil. I don't have time to do that massaging thing, is there any other choices that are easier?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by