Rhubarb rant

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by catlikethief, Jun 23, 2008.

1. catlikethief

catlikethief Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Portland OR
    Yes, I know rhubarb (leaf, flower and seeds) are poisonous.

I've read so many contradicting things. Some people with chickens write saying they have it in their backyards/farm and chickens instinctively know not to eat it, others say their chickens have nibbled it and been fine. I haven't read anywhere saying someones chickens have become ill or died from eating rhubarb (I believe it's possible given the right amount digested. I'm sorry if someone reads this who has had a chicken sick or die from eating rhubarb, i'm not trying to be insensitive)

I am conflicted, i planted some this weekend with out doing research first, in my backyard, where my chickens free range with supervision.

Do I want my chicken to get sick from eating rhubarb no, but they'd get sick from eating my tomato plants (they seem to be invisible to my chickens ) And we all grow those.
    I also feed them unpeeled uncored apples every weeks with no ill effects. Am I lucky, probably.

My grandmother says in the old days they wouldn't worry about these things on the farm and that today we're being over protective and hanging on to the **WHAT IF's** for too long.

So who has rhubarb in their garden and what have you noticed with your chickens?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    I've had rhubarb in my garden for 3 years. Last year's layer flock was allowed supervised ranging in my garden and they never touched it. Now, the cherry tomatoes on the other hand.......[​IMG]

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I personally don't grow it, just to be safe (and my chickens are even cooped with a run!) I just buy the rhubarb locally when in season.

4. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    We have it and have never had a problem with the chickens eating it. They will eat everything else in the garden given the chance except the rhubarb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by