Rhubarb?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Wolfwoman, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    Can geese have Rhubarb?

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

the leaves are TOXIC. very, very yucky. My 3 year old ate some last summer (when she was 2) and we called poison control... they said to give her lots of bread, and milk, and if she started vomiting to take her to the ER... I think most of it got stuck in her teeth. so I wouldn't let geese eat it, if they even wanted to. the stalks however, I bet wouldn't hurt them, though I doubt they'd like the taste.

3. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    I don't think the same things that are toxic to us are to other critters. There are more than a few posts on here where chickens have eaten it with no troubles, that's why I was wondering about geese.

4. catnip

catnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Nebraska
    My geese have occasionally eaten the leaves and no worse for wear except for some off colored poop. In general, they don't care to much about the leaves, have tried the stalks but didn't seem to like it too much. My gander did, however, stomp all over the rhubarb this year breaking off most of the stalks. The rhubarb got fenced in after that. [​IMG]

5. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    I have so much around here and it's NOT KILLABLE!! lol That's why I want to feed it to the critters.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i wouldnt feed the leaves to my animals..
    i have also heard that they can be toxic to animals.

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a great rhubarb muffin recipe. PM me if you want it.

8. Wolfwoman

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    I'll see if I can get hubby to make some!! I don't cook, he does [​IMG] But that's ok!!

9. jennifer@couplandtx.org

jennifer@couplandtx.org Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Coupland, TX
    OMG, wolfwoman, I love your quote ' if the truth offends you, by all means, avoid it', I sincerely gotta remember that one! I have that tendency you know. Also, on the topic, I have been giving my birds beet greens and stalks, hope that is ok? Seriously, I would have figured all greens or anything that grows naturally would be safe, if they would eat it, you know animals are smarter than we are. Knowing me, I'd eat it if it were there... jennifer

10. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    jennifer@couplandtx.org :

OMG, wolfwoman, I love your quote ' if the truth offends you, by all means, avoid it', I sincerely gotta remember that one! I have that tendency you know. Also, on the topic, I have been giving my birds beet greens and stalks, hope that is ok? Seriously, I would have figured all greens or anything that grows naturally would be safe, if they would eat it, you know animals are smarter than we are. Knowing me, I'd eat it if it were there... jennifer

Some plants that grow naturally have developed methods of defending themselves. (young beet greens are my favorite cooked greens!) Rhubarb leaves are so rich in oxalic acid that few things will eat them very sour and irritate the mouth. for that matter I won't eat Rhubarb stalks unless they are cooked do other people actually eat them raw?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by