RI Reds and Ramps

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CapeReds, Jun 15, 2011.

1. CapeReds

CapeReds Out Of The Brooder

I read that some types of hens do not like to go up a ramp to a chicken door in the coop. Unfortunately I'm finding this out as we are finishing the coop and planning on picking up our Rhode Island Red hens. The ramp climbs about 2'. Will this be ok?

By the way, I'm a new guy. Thanks for all of the info and help.

Curtis

2. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I have 2 RIR that do fine, and our ramp goes up about 4 ft. Just make sure it is not a big slope, and the have plenty of "steps" going up the ramp so they do not slip.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2 You might even let some of the cleats (every 3rd or 4th) overhang so a bird can perch and sun themself while others can still pass by.

4. DaveK88

DaveK88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Killingly Ct.
    I have 4 RIR and they use their ramp just fine. It's about 4 inches high but, it is long enough so it's not too steep. has 7 steps. They have no problem using it.

5. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    They will be fine. We have some friends that have RIR chickens that we take care of when they are gone. The chickens have a ramp that is about 2' long, around there.

6. CapeReds

CapeReds Out Of The Brooder

Good news. Thanks all. I had the steps on there, but really like the idea of adding a perch too.

In fact, having several perches in and out seems like a very good idea.

7. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    My five week old RIR has no problems with my ramp, neither do my Wyandotte, Gold Sex Link or Australorp. My coop is a good 3' off the ground, so it's quite a ways. I use cleats, which they seem like using. And i have lots of roosts and shelves for them to explore and sun themselves on.

8. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Mine also do not have any problems with the ramp.

I did put a block underneath so the slope would not be too steep.

And even if I did not have the ramp, they could just hop in anyway (it's a little high for my bantams, tho).

I didn't make a ramp, so I used a piece of the siding from the coop building.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by